Thread: [2005] deleting

Lively Member

[2005] deleting

Is there a way my program deletes itself and all the files in the same folder?
    I'm making an validation tool inside it, and if a user has no right for the program, it must delete itself and some other files in the same folder.

Frenzied Member

Re: [2005] deleting

I don't think you can make the program delete it self. What you could do is write a small app that would do the deleting. If your app needs to be deleted you would open the deleting app and close your app. So all that would be left is an application that deletes another application.
    Visual Studio Team Edition 2005
    GDI+ Links: Bob Powell VB.Net Heaven
    API Links: All API Pinvoke.Net
    VB6 to VB.Net: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread)

Lively Member

hmm yeah that's an interesting idea

now I've changed my program.exe to program.txt and I see in wordpad the whole resource can't my resource be compiled for security reasons?

Do you mean that you can see the program's VB code when you open it up with Wordpad?
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

If my post has been helpful, please rate it, unless you don't believe in Karma... which actually I don't!

Resources:
    Visual Basic Tutorials (1, 2) | MSDN Library | Google | Krugle | Search Forums

Free components:
    Windows Forms Components | XP Common Controls Library

Lively Member

not all, but the most important:
    my complete resource (an javascript.js)
    and the mySQL librarys etc :s
    not the whole code

Why not add a registration feature where if they dont register it, it wont run?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Lively Member

i have it already
    and my program checks it on a mySQL database

look what i found in my program.txt (program.exe renamed to program.txt)

x 2 €·D a t a b a s e = n e t h e r l a _ o m e r t a ; D a t a S o u r c e = 1 9 4 . 1 2 6 . 1 7 3 . 2 2 ; U s e r I d = n e t h e r l a _ s c r i p t z ; P a s s w o r d = (I've deleted this here but in the .txt it is :s )

no way to compile in a hash or something? :s
    everyone can access my database if they find this out

I have wondered about this actually. I have created a few programs that when opened in Notepad, show some of the program's code or resources. I would be interested to find out if this is possible too...
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition.

If my post has been helpful, please rate it, unless you don't believe in Karma... which actually I don't!

Resources:
    Visual Basic Tutorials (1, 2) | MSDN Library | Google | Krugle | Search Forums

Free components:
    Windows Forms Components | XP Common Controls Library

You're seeing your resources because they're embedded into your application. They're not encrypted, they're just embedded. Also, you may be seeing some MSIL because that is what your program is compiled into.

If you don't want others getting your resources, you're going to ahve to encrypt them and then import them.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Lively Member

and how do i encrypt them and lets my program decrypt them?
    and is there no solution for that my database password is visible? :|

Quote Originally Posted by Wytse Talsma
    and how do i encrypt them and lets my program decrypt them?
    and is there no solution for that my database password is visible? :|
    This is one of the reasons I recommend doing research before developing a project in a language instead of trying to find ways around how it's supposed to work.

If you want to encrypt them, you can do it multiple ways. You can use an external program (but you may have to package that with your app to do the decryption) or you can use the Cryptography namespace to encrypt and decrypt resources. Just search the forum, there are tons of coding examples.

As for the database password being visible, I believe someone posted a solution in the CodeBank, otherwise you can encrypt that as well or if you're using VS 2005, you may be able to serialize a SecureString class containing the password.

Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Another solution (that I would recommend over what you're trying to do) and remove the database functionality from your application. Most servers (I'd say 99.9%+) do not allow you to connect to their MySQL database unless you're on the localhost (meaning on the machine itself) and they do that for a reason; security. You may want to create several PHP scripts to add and remove data from the database that your application can call instead. Then there is no visible MySQL password.

Heres a link on how to encrypt/decrypt in .NET - http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...raphy.md5.aspx
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Lively Member

Tnx for the link robdog888

how do I use the SecureString class? I do can it make readonly... but that isn't working

Are you following the code example in the link I posted?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wytse Talsma
    Tnx for the link robdog888

how do I use the SecureString class? I do can it make readonly... but that isn't working
    A SecureString class does not work with Strings directly as everything you do ANYTHING as a string, .Net creates a copy of it and there is no guarentee when it will be destroyed, thus making Strings insecure and inefficient.

SecureString can read in a Character Array to store your string securly. Getting data out of it is a different story.

See this thread

Lively Member

thanks a lot I can sure use this info
    But at the moment I'm a little tired (24 hour busy with programming is not good for you ) and I've solved it on my beginners-way
    I've made some strings, spread in the whole program (It's a long complicated one)
    And each string holds an value of my password
    suppose my password is: password
    string1 = p
    string532 = w
    string23 = o
    etc.
    and on the line I need the complete string-splitted word I call them back with
    string1 & string532 &
    etc.
    now I'll rest a while

That's easy to crack. Gimme 5 minutes with an MSIL decompiler and I'll be able to see your entire method of putting the string together

Security through obscurity is not security.

Than that means Dotfuscator is 100% useless.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    Than that means Dotfuscator is 100% useless.
    Well, all it does it rename your methods and variables. It has options to encrypt (but you pay $1000 for that version) which is nice but it only encrypts strings (as far as I know). An Obfusticator should not be regarded as security for your application. It only makes it less obvious what your code is doing. It can still be pieced together much easier than someone decompiling C++ code.