Thread: picture box data

Addicted Member

picture box data

hi is there a way i can find out if pic1.Image has been dropped onto another picture box. thanks

Re: picture box data

If pic1.Image = pic2.Image Then
    'Same picture
    Else
    'Not same Picture
    End If

??
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Are you asking whether you can test whether two picture boxes contain the same image or are you asking how to perform a drag-and-drop operation between two picture boxes?

Addicted Member

thats good but i have 9 picture boxes to compare. is there one statement where i can check if its true. i'm using drag and drop funtionality

Quote Originally Posted by Prav
    thats good but i have 9 picture boxes to compare. is there one statement where i can check if its true. i'm using drag and drop funtionality
    If you have 9 boxes then use a loop. There is no method in the .Net framework tailored for every situation; you'll have to write it yourself.

So are you say you're trying to compare 9 picture boxes... but you are also uses drag and drop. As jmcilhinney said, are you trying to just compare images or trying to drag and drop images?
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Addicted Member

its for a noughts and crosses (tic tac tac) game. my problem i'm having is if you drag and drop a nought( for example) onto an empty space on the form or outside , i.e not on the 9 picture boxes, it still counts it as a turn meaning you can drag and drop a cross.

You should be handling the DragDrop event of the picture boxes to know whether the image was dropped on one of them. If it was then it counts as a turn, otherwise it doesn't.

Having said that, most people would just click a square to make a move in that square rather than using drag-and-drop. If this is an exercise to learn how to drag-and-drop then by all means carry on. Otherwise, Id' go with the other method as it's a more intuitive way to play the game in my opinion.

Addicted Member

The drapDrop is working ok. Can i have some help how to implement that handling DragDrop event to know whether the image was dropped on any picture boxes.

You should be handling of DragDrop event of the picture boxes. If the event is raised by a picture box then the image was dropped on that picture box. No drop = no event = no drop.

Addicted Member

how will i know there's no event

VB Code:
    1. Private Sub picCrosses_DragDrop(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) Handles picCrosses.DragDrop
    2.         If pic11.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic12.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic13.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or _
    3.                         pic21.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic22.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic23.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or _
    4.                         pic31.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic32.Image Is picCrosses.Image Or pic33.Image Is picCrosses.Image Then
    5.         Else
    6.             MessageBox.Show("Please choose an empty box")
    7.             OX = False
    8.         End If
    9.     End Sub

No place like 127.0.0.1 eyeRmonkey's Avatar

Was that supposes to be: "How will I know, because there is no event," or "How will I know that there is no event?"

You have the following events at your disposal: DragDrop, DrapEnter, DragLeave and DragOver.

You can code events for each control or for multiple controls at once. To do more than one try something like this:
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub PictureBoxHandler_DragDrop( _
    2.                 ByVal sender As Object, _
    3.                 ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) _
    4.             Handles PictureBox1.DragDrop, PictureBox2.DragDrop, PictureBox3.DragDrop, _
    5.             PictureBox4.DragDrop, PictureBox5.DragDrop
    6.         ' Do something here
    7.     End Sub

This will cause all of the picture boxes to call the same event handling procudure when the event is raised. Then sender will hold the picturebox that did the calling.
    Last edited by eyeRmonkey; Apr 13th, 2006 at 11:46 PM.
    Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition (.NET Framework 2.0)
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

The whole point is that you don't need to know if there was no drop event. You shouldn't do anything until there is a drop event, so if one isn't raised then nothing is done. Don't record a move when the user starts dragging. When the drop event is raised, then you should record that a move has been made. If the drop never occurs then there is nothing to undo because nothing was done.

Addicted Member

is there any website you would recomend so i can get the functionality of DragDrop, DrapEnter, DragLeave and DragOver

There's this web site called MSDN. You may have heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney
    There's this web site called MSDN. You may have heard of it.

</SarcasmOn>Also, these two cool guys made this awesome search engine called Google.</SarcasmOff>
    ~ VB .NET Links: Visual Basic 6 to .NET Function Equivalents (Thread) | Refactor! (White Paper) | Easy Control for Wizard Forms | Making A Proper UI For WinForms | Graphics & GDI+ Tutorial | Websites For Free Icons
    ~ QUOTE: Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rich Cook

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Addicted Member

basically what i'm asking is how can i get the 'data' of where the picture has been dropped

You handle the DragDrop event of each PictureBox. When the event is raised the 'sender' argument is a reference to the PictureBox that the image was dropped on and the 'e' argument contains data about the event, like the coordinates of the drop location, etc. The following link is a drag and drop howto. It is not for images but you just have to experiment a little. I implemented drag-and-drop myself for the first time about a week ago. I just read the help documentation for all the events and type sinvolved and experimented a bit.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;306969

Quote Originally Posted by prav
    basically what i'm asking is how can i get the 'data' of where the picture has been dropped
    We have answered that question many times. It is clear that you understanding of the structure of events is lacking, but alas, that is why you came here.

Let's try this again.

An event will be raised when something happens. The DragDrop event will occur when the user drops something onto that picture box. So if you want to do something when that happens, put code in the event handler:
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub PictureBoxHandler_DragDrop( _
    2.                 ByVal sender As Object, _
    3.                 ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DragEventArgs) _
    4.             Handles PictureBox1.DragDrop, PictureBox2.DragDrop, PictureBox3.DragDrop, _
    5.             PictureBox4.DragDrop, PictureBox5.DragDrop
    6.         ' This sub will be called when any of the 5 picture boxes have something
    7.         ' dropped onto them
    8.         ' the sender argument now holds WHICH picture box called the event
    9.         Debug.WriteLine(sender.Name) ' should print the name of the picturebox you dropped onto
    10.     End Sub

On the drag leave event you could set the picture of the SENDER to a module level variable (declared at the top of your form code - inside the class of course). Then when a DragDrop occurs, you could use the picture stored in that variable and set it to the SENDER's .Image property. There might be a better way, but that is what came to mind for me.

~ eyeRmonkey.com

Quote Originally Posted by eyeRmonkey
    There might be a better way, but that is what came to mind for me.
    In the DragStart event handler you set the e.Data property to the data that is being dragged. In the DragDrop event you retrieve that same data from the e.Data property.

Addicted Member

thank you very much eyeRmonkey. i'll give that a go.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney
    In the DragStart event handler you set the e.Data property to the data that is being dragged. In the DragDrop event you retrieve that same data from the e.Data property.
    Cool. I knew there was something better, I just haven't done any DragDrop stuff in .NET yet.

~ eyeRmonkey.com