Thread: [2005] SmartCommander - what do you think, what should I add?

Question [2005] SmartCommander - what do you think, what should I add?

Well, some time ago i thought about making own file manager.
    I attach an executable (2005, fw 2.0) Not many functions are working, but what do you think of it? What should I change, add, remove etc?

Before you run please create folder: "C:\Program Files\Smartivia\ERRLOG",
    and there is an other attachment - My Folders.rar (extract it to D:\Dokumenty) so it will be a D:\Dokumenty\My Folders folder. It contains a structure of folders needed to run the program. (Of course I will remove that things at the release but this is not even an alpha version )

File too large to upload, link: http://p800site.ovh.org/release.rar
    Contains some Ax libraries, should work on your machine but I'm not sure as I runned it only on mine and friend's.

Re: [2005] SmartCommander - what do you think, what should I add?

Dokumenty, what is this language?? i am just curios

Polish xD I forgot to give MyFolders.rar ok, here's link: http://p800site.ovh.org/myfolders.rar. And additional information: requires WMP 9 so if sb hasn't installed one then i don't think it will work

www.ghisler.com

This guy makes one of the best file explorer programs out there, sort of like the old norton commander.

Bill
    Hate Adobe Acrobat? My Codebank Sumbissions - Easy CodeDom Expression evaluator: (VB / C# ) -- C# Scrolling Text Display

I Like to code when drunk. Don't say you weren't warned.

I don't want to beat Total Commander as it's absolute leader in commanders, but I will try to finish this program

Quote Originally Posted by kartam
    Well, some time ago i thought about making own file manager.
    I attach an executable (2005, fw 2.0) Not many functions are working, but what do you think of it? What should I change, add, remove etc?
    I highly doubt anyone of us will run it. We don't just run any executable someone puts up. Maybe if you provide the source and/or screenshots we can offer more opinions but as it is now, you probably won't get any.
    Before you run please create folder: "C:\Program Files\Smartivia\ERRLOG",
    and there is an other attachment - My Folders.rar (extract it to D:\Dokumenty) so it will be a D:\Dokumenty\My Folders folder. It contains a structure of folders needed to run the program. (Of course I will remove that things at the release but this is not even an alpha version )
    Are you serious? For one, I do not have a D drive (My C is actually E as well, I do not have a C drive). Secondly, why do I have to create these folders? All you have to do is call System.IO.Directory.Create() and it's done. Why should I have to go and manually do it?

I've been working on a rather large project and it's barely an Alpha and it creates the needed folders if it needs them (and ONLY if).
    Polish xD I forgot to give MyFolders.rar ok, here's link: http://p800site.ovh.org/myfolders.rar. And additional information: requires WMP 9 so if sb hasn't installed one then i don't think it will work
    I have Windows Media Player 10 (unfortunately)
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

OK i understand you, and I told you that I will soon remove it. I only asked for first opinions but now I see that it's too early for publishing this. So after some programming on my app i will say something about it, maybe also publish with an installer. For now, i think that it's time to close topic

The program will create the needed folders, but then it will need to ask user where to place them, and this is the installer's task. So you will be able to select folder, but when the installer will be done and maybe a 1st-startup-creator.
    Last edited by kartam; Apr 14th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.

maybe also publish with an installer. For now, i think that it's time to close topic
    i think waht kasracer is trying to say that, anybody cannot gurantee you to give hime an exe file and asks him to run it on his computer.

we dont know you well except from inside the forums , which is not enough for anybody to trust your exe.

a source code or screen shots seems to be the right choice ..

no offense kartam, but i think eachone of us has a very important work on his box. and the risk would be tooooo hight

I thought of posting basically the same thing when I first read this thread. I'm not running your EXE because I have no idea who you are and what your program may do, either on purpose or inadvertently, to my system. No offense, it's just common sense.

Well OK, screenshots soon as i'm hard working on my app
    If my post is helpful please RATE IT! Thanks