Thread: [2005] How to move file to Recycle Bin

[2005] How to move file to Recycle Bin

What code do I use to move file to recycle bin?
    Let's say that I have a file C:\sample.txt and I want to place it in the bin.

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

Re: [2005] How to move file to Recycle Bin

I was thinking maybe moving it to that folder, but the folder path could be different on any one machine, and the Environment.SpecialFolder enumeration doesnt contain an entry for the current user's recycle bin folder (or any recycle bin folder, for that matter). I checked around and it looks like you can do it using the SHFileOperation API, and you can find an example of it here:

http://www.developerfusion.co.uk/show/120/

Resolved Re: [2005] How to move file to Recycle Bin

OK, I think I've got it; quite easy, just use one of the My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile() overloads. You needn't any special APIs, and you have also a dialog box

This does not seem to work on network shares.
    VB Code:
    1. My.Computer.FileSystem.DeleteFile(FInfo.FullFileName, FileIO.UIOption.AllDialogs, FileIO.RecycleOption.SendToRecycleBin)
    In life you can be sure of only two things... death and taxes. I'll take death.

i would recommend selecting the file by clicking it with the left mouse button. after that i would recommend also (if possible) presseing the small keyboard button located in the left bottom with a del. key written on it.

you will have a confirmation message box, i would finally recommend clicking yes (but i am not sure)

loooooooooooooooooool, sorry just kidding you, i think the bottom line is to move the file to the recycler folder on the drive instead of directly deleting it.

I don't think that it is possible to move file from network share to the recycle bin, even in Windows, but I'm not sure as I don't work in a network very often.

Problem is, it is a linux file server.

Doesn't matter, when you access data on a server, if you attempt to delete the file your only option is for an immediate delete. You can't move items from the network into your recycle bin.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Lame. That would be a nice feature. I guess you could always move them to a temp folder instead of deleting them.