Thread: end code/ bios

Question end code/ bios

I'm writing a program that requires a name and pass word which I would like to store in a seperate text file, but I'm not sure how to tell the program how to either search through the text file for the name (immediately followed by the password) or put a certain symbol (:,",/,etc.) after each name / password entry (password + name stored as one number) and then be able to tell the program to find the beginning of the name and check if they match. I'm not too sure about the searching idea, since it would have to find a number telling the program how long the name and password combined have to be, or else they would only need half of the password. So, is there a way to search for the name in the program, then stop the loop process that reads each letter (since it's encrypted) after it finds that character?

Also, is there a somewhat easy way to access and change settings in the
    computer's bios? Wanted to make an auto overclocker.

Thanx in advance!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: end code/ bios

Welcome to the forums.

It would be a lot easier to use a database table for your names and passwords than a text file. It would also be a bit more secure.

Changing things in bios is not exactly VB's strong suit. What specific setting did you have in mind?

Resolved Re: end code/ bios

What I'm thinking of doing is hosting the file somewhere on the internet so I could hold stuff. As of right now, I dn't think what I use really makes a difference, but when I go to actually host the file, I may not be as readily able to save any file that isn't just straight text, since I haven't quite decided how to host a file that can be changed and then saved. How would you use a database file then? And what program to make the file.

Bios- friend asked me to make a virus to prove that I can program. Probably wont even make it though, since if he got it from me (somehow) it would do more than corrupt the hard drive- was going to increase the CPU core voltage to like 10 volts or something, but it's not funny when hardware gets permenantly damaged, or starts a fire and damages property.\

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by ididntdoit
    Bios- friend asked me to make a virus to prove that I can program. Probably wont even make it though, since if he got it from me (somehow) it would do more than corrupt the hard drive- was going to increase the CPU core voltage to like 10 volts or something, but it's not funny when hardware gets permenantly damaged, or starts a fire and damages property.\

Thanx
    not cool.. honesty was appreciated. but no help coming from here for that. best to let that idea die.
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

Quote Originally Posted by ididntdoit
    friend asked me to make a virus to prove that I can program.
    All that would prove would be stupidity, and willingness to do what your friend tells you to do (rather than thinking about the possible consquences of your actions).

Write a proper program instead... not only will it give you a better feeling (as you wont have any guilt), but you will also give yourself the ability to show it to people, and maybe even make money from it.

Wink Re: end code/ bios

Case i didn't make it clear- I wasn't even giving it too him, just making it- idea died/ lost it's novelty by the end of the day.

Found answer to my password problem

New burning question- what would the code be to make the code under "cmdupdatedisplay" be automatically run every 2 seconds? Use a timer? If so, how do I do that? (I'm still somewhat new to this, and my Help files are corrupted )

A timer would do it.

Just add a timer control to your form, and set the "Interval" property to 2000 (milliseconds, same as 2 seconds) and put the code into the Timer_tick event.

Wink Re: end code/ bios

Holy crap that was a fast reply! (les than 30 seconds!) Thanks a lot! That's it for now. Thx again.

[Original question is back again- Want to create a file (preferabley text) holding a few actual settings. What would the actual code be to make it stop reading and go to another set of code when it gets to a & or / or * character (or any character)? I know there's a command "goto", but how to you put it into the code and how do you specify where in the code to go to?

Thanx!]

Never mind- found a different way to do it! Thanx anyways!
    Last edited by ididntdoit; Apr 16th, 2006 at 12:46 PM.