Thread: ADO Connection Doesn't work when installed.

Lively Member
    Why can't anyone answer this. I have found many posts like this but none of them are answered. Surely you guys can help me.

I have a program that uses a data grid with an ado connection to an access database. It works fine on any computer with vb installed. But I get an error message provider not found when it is installed on any other machine.

What am I missing. I installed the package and deployment wizzard suggested. Even ODBC and Jet and everything else.

What component am I missing?

I have VB 6.0 and the service packs installed, I am running Windows 2000 on one machine and NT 4.0 on the other. Both have MDAC 2.5 installed.

I am trying to install it on a Winnt 4.0 machine with the service packs installed, I also added MDAC 2.5.

Thanks
    Brandon

[Edited by BJ on 11-13-2000 at 03:24 PM]

Hmm... I'm surprised that installing MDAC didn't solve your problem. Have you tried using the P&D Wizard to create a dependency (.DEP) file for your project? After creating this file you can open it in a text editor and see all the components required by your program. Although it's not fool-proof, it's one way to double-check what components you need to install.

Wink

Originally posted by BJ

I have a program that uses a data grid with an ado connection to an access database. It works fine on any computer with vb installed. But I get an error message provider not found when it is installed on any other machine.

What component am I missing?
    /////
    You have included mdac in your programm.
    It will require DCOM98 to install properly.
    s.e.a

Lively Member
    Thank you very much.

I have found the Dcom98 folder on my VB CD. It has 2 executables in it. Will I need to include both of them in my setup program or only the one that is Dcom98? The other is dcm98cfg.exe.

Also I am running on Win NT 4.0 is this only for Win 98 or is it for NT also?

Thanks
    Brandon

Originally posted by BJ
    Thank you very much.

I have found the Dcom98 folder on my VB CD. It has 2 executables in it. Will I need to include both of them in my setup program or only the one that is Dcom98? The other is dcm98cfg.exe.

Also I am running on Win NT 4.0 is this only for Win 98 or is it for NT also?

Thanks
    Brandon
    usually i include only dcom98.exe
    i can't tell You anything about dcm98cfg.exe, i have never used it.
    it works under NT 4.0 any SP, and it works under '95 /'98
    s.e.a

Lively Member
    I included Dcom98 in my setup program. When I did it said dependency information is not found. I went ahead and created the setup program any way. It still didn't work.

I also tried installing Dcom98 onto an Win NT machine by itself from the VB Cd. It said it was only for 95/98.

On one of the machines I was trying to install on and it didn't work. I removed the program, I installed VB 6.0, then installed my program, then I removed VB 6.0. It worked perfectly. I just need to know what I am needing.

Thanks
    Brandon