Thread: [RESOLVED] Palm Os vs Windows Mobile

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Palm Os vs Windows Mobile

Maybe the is a stupid question....

Do you prefer mobile software development on Windows Mobile platform or PalmOS?

Which is the best for new to mobile developer with moderate VB skills?

Any comments?

Re: Palm Os vs Windows Mobile

From a biased point of view Windows Mobile.
    There is a lot more support for developing in windows mobile.
    there are many support forums, websites etc...
    Also the Compact Framework is a subset of the full .net framework

there is also a open source community for the Compact Framework
    Barry

Visual Studio .NET 2008/Visual Studio .NET 2005/Visual Studio .NET 2003
    .NET Framework 3.0 2.0 1.1/ASP.Net 3.0 2.0 1.1/Compact Framework 1.0

SQL Server 2005/2000/SQL Server CE 2.0

If you like, rate this post

Compact Framework for Beginners

Hyperactive Member

Thanks.

That was my first impression. My early look around the search engines yielded the best information on Windows Mobile. PalmOs had some open development, but seem a bit more limited.

Honestly, I wouldn't have expected anything less from Bill, regardless of security or bug status, dominate the market... hehe

Does Windows Mobile (or other handheld computing platform) also have strong support for any development for vb6?

Seems I recall a few plugins for VB6 with comiler support for Windows Mobile.

Anyone?

eVB the old development language for Pocket Pc & Windows CE is near extinction. and will no longer be supported on the new versions of the windows mobile OS, pocket pc OS etc...
    It was very like VB6.

eVB was replaced with the Compact Framework 1.0 which was part of Visual Studio 2003 Pro
    and recently the Compact Framework 2.0 was launched as part of Visual Studio 2005

The Compact Framework is a slimmed down version of the full .Net Framework (hence the name compact) not all controls class are available but a lot are, and its a lot better than eVB had.

http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...pactFramework/ is a good place to start learning the Compact Framework
    Barry

Visual Studio .NET 2008/Visual Studio .NET 2005/Visual Studio .NET 2003
    .NET Framework 3.0 2.0 1.1/ASP.Net 3.0 2.0 1.1/Compact Framework 1.0

SQL Server 2005/2000/SQL Server CE 2.0

If you like, rate this post

Compact Framework for Beginners

Hyperactive Member

Thanks for the Push...

Stay away from eVB. It may feel familiar at first, but it really isn't. For one thing, there are no types. Sure, you can define an integer, a string, a double, etc. However, it's just words in eVB, the variables are all variant, regardless of what you call them. This means that you can multiply two strings togther without getting any complaint from the compiler....though your program will crash if they really are strings.

The .NET CF is definitely the way to go. However, as for 2005....well, the full 2005 has sufficient bugs that many people are awaiting SP1 before moving there.

Basically, I totally agree with Strider and all he has said. Just so you know his opinion is seconded.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Ok, I will go with .net. I have a Dell Axim with windows mobile. Starting to realize this is going to take a little while.

I would like to start by removing alot of the installed components. The only apps that I want to install is the calenar/scheduling, etc. The app I am developing will just store job info and measurements, track values, etc.

Anyone have a good site for customizing WM compenents, and changing the security policy?

Frenzied Member

Hi,
    many of the installed components can't be removed, as they are in ROM - all you can do is hide them.

Best solution may be to make your app 'full screen' - you should be able to find several posts telling you how to do this

Pete

Hyperactive Member

That makes sense. I do not really need to remove them, hide them is a good solution.