Thread: Data Report works fine on my PC, but not on other users?

Hi, I'm a month-old VB6 programmer, so I need help. I designed a form using Data Report Designer, printed it off, no problem, it looks lovely. But when I install the Report VB6 program on another machine, as soon as I try to bring up the report in the program it says "Report Width is larger than Paper width", and won't display the report. Any ideas? This is over a network, are there some settings I'm missing?

Thanks!

vbLeah:

Make certaint that the report size, both the display window and the actual report, do not excede the margins in the property settings for the report. I believe that the report defaults the left and right margins to 1440 twips - which equates to about an inch and some margin on each side. If your report is showing the ruler, the report size cannot excede 6 1/2 inches in width for the specified twip setting.

If you need to have a slightly wider report than what is defaulted, change your twip setting for the right and left margin to 720. Secondly, make certain that the preview window is not being exceded by the report size too much as well.
    "Make something foolproof, and nature will invent a better fool."

Thanks for the reply! I'll try ensuring that the report is within the 6 1/2 inches you mentioned, since the ruler is displayed on my screen. I am confused by what you mean about the "preview window", what is that? Is that the window I see while I'm designing the report (with all the headers)?

vbLeah:

The preview window is what you see when you launch the report from the application. I've had problems in the past where the size of the report violated some unknown and unexplainable aspect of the preview window, and then I got the same message as you.

There are resources as the MSDN online library where you can find the twip to inch ratio. This will help you decide what your margins should be. It will also be helpful if you are trying to setup a "landscape" orientation. This way you will know how many twips are needed to create an 11 x 8 1/2 landscape setting.

Hope this was helpful.

Roy H.
    "Make something foolproof, and nature will invent a better fool."

Thanks Roy, this was very helpful. Your explanation of the preview window makes perfect sense, that's exactly where the error occurred, while it was trying to bring that up. I'll check out the MSDN and play with the margins and see if I can get it to work on some machine other than mine!