Thread: Drive hardware with RS232

Drive hardware with RS232

I am writing a program which has only 6 to 8 single commands. I want to transmit these commands to an output to control a hardware, does the serial port work in this case? If yes, how to achieve this?(or any other method?)

Thanks for answering
    Last edited by wil123; Apr 12th, 2006 at 02:53 AM.

Re: Electrical pulse output

You can use the serial port or COM port using the MSCOMM control from vb. You can add the control to your toolbox by clicking Project > Components > Controls tab > MS Comm Control > OK.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Its quite easier to use the parallel port because it supports 8 output wires and (not quite sure) 5 status wires to check for current.
    For controlling I used the inpout dll for win 95/98 or NTPort for win2k (http://www.zealsoftstudio.com)

If I use a 9-pin COM port, can I just control the output voltage of pin3 to differentiate different commands?

Welcome to the darkside... we have cookies

Re: Drive hardware with RS232

i guess that would be possible, have'nt really tried it though...
    WARNING: Excessive coding is dangerous to your health... if symptoms persist insult your doctor...

Hyperactive Member

The Comport only has 1 output stream... and you have no control over the voltages, apart from it being -ve value (0 bit) and +ve value (1 bit)... and the data is in serial, so you WILL need a demultiplexer or UART driver IC at the other end...

The easiest way is with the Parallel port... BUT is would be wise to incorporate a Hardware buffer at the end, so you don't damage your motherboard by accident.
    If my post has been helpful, then please rate it accordingly...
    If it has solved your question(s), then don't forget to mark the thread as "[Resolved]"... thank you.

Can I just solder the port output to the hardware?

Can someone kindly help for defineing the port with parallel port? This is the first time for me to work on the interface.

Hyperactive Member

You CAN solder the port output directly to the hardware... provided that:

#1 - The hardware can accept the voltage ranges from -15 to +15
    #2 - The hardware doesn't feed back any surplus current to the Comm device

Maybe if you can give an example of what hardware you'd like to control I can help you... I've built robots and other gizmos that interface with a PC using various ports...

As for the printer Port, the default port for LTP1 is &H378 or in decimal 888
    &H378 is for the Printer port data lines...
    If it has solved your question(s), then don't forget to mark the thread as "[Resolved]"... thank you.

Actually I have a programme which have 6-8 indepentent commands. And those commands are required to drive a commercial joypad.

Really thanks for helping me.

Hyperactive Member

So if I understand what you're saying...

You want to use the joystick to control a peripheral device?

OR the Joystick IS the peripheral device that's attached to the Serial port, and you want to use that to run a program?

============================================

If you're satified and problem is solved, then please mark this thread as resolved... thanks...

My program is to control the joystick so as to control the other computer

PowerPoster

What's the hardware interface to the joystick? Serial? Parallel? Something else? That's going to determine what you're going to use to control it.

Hyperactive Member

Now I'm confused more than ever... how are you going to "control" the joystick?
    Aren't joysticks themselves controllers...??

Hmm...
    With a little search on this forum:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=394943

Let me make myself clear.

I want my program in computer A give commands to control a joystick which is connected to computer B. The joystick is connected via USB. There are only 8 commands in the program.

The joystick is essential since it is used to simulate a situation that my program is able to control a hardware.
    Last edited by wil123; Apr 13th, 2006 at 08:52 AM.

You have to dismantle your joystick. If it is analog forget it. Otherwise mount some relais over the switches and connect these to the comm-port.

Quote Originally Posted by namrekka
    You have to dismantle your joystick. If it is analog forget it. Otherwise mount some relais over the switches and connect these to the comm-port.
    Just connect with pin2 to 9? How to determine if it is possible for direct connection?

PowerPoster

If the port is USB, you don't have the normal RS-232 pins - you have Data(+) and Data(-) pins. You can't use that - without some additional hardware - to control 8 individual control lines, if that's what you need to do. The joystick won't take commands on its USB port - it OUTPUTS on that port.

You can't send commands to the joystick to make the joystick output to the computer, which is what it sounds like what you want to do. About the best you can do is a) simulate the joystick with another device which is designed to get commands from your computer and send USB signals to the other computer, or b) control the program in the other computer with direct serial commands sent to a serial port on that computer.