Thread: PC fan creating noise

Lively Member

Question PC fan creating noise

I have a PIV system.
    The problem with my pc is that it makes lot of noise when running. i think voice comes from the fan.
    initially when i start working it reamins quite but when it pasts around 20-30 minutes it starts making noise and if while doing some work the application hangs then the volume and intensity of noise increases many fold.

i have also downloaded a software from net called speedfan to control the speed of fan. but it does little help.

plz help.

thanks.

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

Re: PC fan creating noise

have you checked the fan? Is this a processor fan? A power supply fan? A case fan? Is the fan loose? Try tightening some screws. It could just be an old fan... take it out and replace it. They cost no more than 5 bucks (USD)...

There is a good chance that the fan is clogged up due to dust - it's surprising what can get caught up in them.

A good clean (or a cheap replacement) should solve it.

Get a can of compressed air and blow it out, or try oiling it up a bit. That should work.

Hyperactive Member capsulecorpjx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sanbatra
    I have a PIV system.
    The problem with my pc is that it makes lot of noise when running. i think voice comes from the fan.
    initially when i start working it reamins quite but when it pasts around 20-30 minutes it starts making noise and if while doing some work the application hangs then the volume and intensity of noise increases many fold.

i have also downloaded a software from net called speedfan to control the speed of fan. but it does little help.

plz help.

thanks.
    Time to replace your power supply, which I think is what your fan is connected to. I had to do it once. Shouldn't cost more than $25 to $35 USD, but it has to be done every once in a while.

Also, you should clean out your CPU heatsink of dust, and the computer in general. My computer shut down every 5 mins until I figured out what was overheating it.
    "I like to run on treadmills, because at least I know I'm getting nowhere."
    - Me