Thread: [RESOLVED] change password

Resolved [RESOLVED] change password

So I have a program with a password, and I want people to be able to change the login password. I have the basic 3 boxed,

old password
    new password
    confirm password

how to I go about storing the password in the exe file?

PowerPoster

Re: change password

You can't store the password in the exe, store it in an ecrypted file, or registry, or database, there are many options.

Using the registry:

SaveSetting
    Code:
    Saves or creates an application entry in the Windows registry.
    Syntax 
    SaveSetting appname, section, key, setting

The SaveSetting statement syntax has these named arguments:
    Part	Description

appname	Required. String expression containing the name of the application or project to which the setting applies.
    section	Required. String expression containing the name of the section where the key setting is being saved.
    key	Required. String expression containing the name of the key setting being saved.
    setting	Required. Expression containing the value that key is being set to.

Remarks
    An error occurs if the key setting canít be saved for any reason.
    Getsetting
    Code:
    Returns a key setting value from an application's entry in the Windows registry.
    Syntax 
    GetSetting(appname, section, key[, default])

The GetSetting function syntax has these named arguments:
    Part	Description

appname	Required. String expression containing the name of the application or project whose key setting is requested.
    section	Required. String expression containing the name of the section where the key setting is found.
    key	Required. String expression containing the name of the key setting to return.
    default	Optional. Expression containing the value to return if no value is set in the key setting. If omitted, default is assumed to be a zero-length string ("").

Remarks
    If any of the items named in the GetSetting arguments do not exist, GetSetting returns the value of default.
    DeleteSetting
    Code:
    Deletes a section or key setting from an application's entry in the Windows registry.
    Syntax 
    DeleteSetting appname, section[, key]

The DeleteSetting statement syntax has these named arguments:
    Part	Description

appname	Required. String expression containing the name of the application or project to which the section or key setting applies.
    section	Required. String expression containing the name of the section where the key setting is being deleted. If only appname and section are provided, the specified section is deleted along with all related key settings.
    key	Optional. String expression containing the name of the key setting being deleted.

Remarks
    If all arguments are provided, the specified key setting is deleted. However, the DeleteSetting statement does nothing if the specified section or key setting does not exist.

Thanks, that was really cool. I got it to work. Is there any way that you can encrypt the password saved in the registry, so that it is not so easy to hack?

There are many methods of encryption availible in VB, try doing a search in here, or the code snippets section. Also try Google.
    Age - 15 ::: Level - Advanced
    If you find my post useful please ::Rate It::