Thread: [02/03] ? on Payroll Apps

Fanatic Member

[02/03] ? on Payroll Apps

Anybody have any suggestions for writing a payroll app? What kind of fields need to be captured, besides the obvious ones like name, hours, wage, married etc.....?

Hyperactive Member nothingofvalue's Avatar

Re: [02/03] ? on Payroll Apps

Really depends upon just how complex you plan to make your program. While payroll may seem like it is simple on the surface, it is actually extremely complex. Other fields to capture that may or may not be obvious are the payperiod (Weekly, Bi-weekly, etc), first day of the workweek (not every business is Mon-Sun) and Extra Withholding.

Here are some things to consider:

1. Will the program support State Taxes like withholding, disability, unemployment, etc?

If it will support State Taxes then each state has different rates for everything. Many states also have completely different filing status options than Federal does.

2. You will need to allow for all types of deductions, additions and company contributions. There must be absolute flexibility in determining exactly what taxes each payroll item is subject to. After all, I do not want to be taxed on my Cafeteria Plan.

3. Taxes change constantly. The company I work for releases a tax table update on the average of every 2-3 weeks inorder to stay on top of changes. You design scope may not be for all 50 states so the frequency of change may be less.

4. Many taxes like Federal Unemployment and Social Security have yearly income threshholds that will need to be taken into account. In other words, when an employee reaches $7000 in taxable wages, the program needs to stop charging the comapny for Federal Unemployment.

I could probably think of about twenty more, but I think that is probably good. With that all said, I am not trying to discourage you form creating the program, I am simply giving insight as to exactly how complex payroll can be. If you do have any specific questions, I am all too familiar with payroll and more than happy to answer what I can.

Good Luck
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."

Albert Einstein
    -----------------------------------------------
    If my reply helped you then you really were lost, but I still took the time to help, please rate it anyway

Fanatic Member

Hey I appreciate the response. I did have some of the things you mentioned in the works but you brought up a lot of good points. I will post additional questions about this. What are some good resources for where to find withholding rates etc... I know to look at the IRS and individual state taxing authority sites, anything else I should look at?????

Hyperactive Member nothingofvalue's Avatar

Would not hurt to familiarize yourself with all of the different aspects of the payroll items that a business needs to ensure you will program enough to handle them. If you have a good understanding of how an item is customarily setup (for tax purposes) then it is easier to program. In other words read up on 125-Cafeteria Plans, 401K's, Ira's, Advances, Garnishments, Tips-in/Tips-out and so on.

You will also be amazed when you see how many little taxes some states have. California has Withholding, Unemployment, Disability, Training Tax. Most states assign a different Unemployment rate to each company so the program needs to allow the user to set that rate. The program also needs to allow for creating new payroll items as well.

You will find that even the best payroll programs will not handle everything a business may need, so don't even try to plan for it all. You simply need to plan for what tha majority of businesses will need. If you know someone who has QuickBooks with a Payroll Subscription then it would be an excellent idea to take a look at it to see exactly what is involved as well.

If you are looking to program this for resale throughout the US then the program will be extremely robust. If you are simply trying to address the needs of your company or plan to only cater to one or two states then the task will be much more manageable.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."

Albert Einstein
    -----------------------------------------------
    If my reply helped you then you really were lost, but I still took the time to help, please rate it anyway