Thread: Assign variables to a string: Weight("Bob") = 200 ???

Assign variables to a string: Weight("Bob") = 200 ???

OK, so I'm still getting the hang of VB and haven't learned the ins and outs yet, so there's probably a very simple answer on here if i just knew the language to search for the correct thing, so i apologize if this question is either excessively simple or redundant.

My problem:

I'm programming a college football game, and I want to keep statistics for all of the different teams during a season. The teams are identified by strings...

Now, it would be a lot easier for me to follow the code and keep it condensed if I could assign values to these teams by name. In other words, if my team is Florida State, I would like to have the following values:

passyards("Florida State")
    rushyards("Florida State")
    qbrating("Florida State")

But I can't figure out how to assign these variables (passyards, rushyards, qbrating) to a string ("Florida State"). It would be easy enough if this was a regular array with a numberical value in parenthesis like passyards(1), passyards(2), etc., but I'd rather be able to work directly with team names to make the code easier for me to follow.

I know you used to be able to do this back in the day with quickbasic, but I can't figure out how to do it now. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Re: Assign variables to a string: Weight("Bob") = 200 ???

search on how to use "user defined types"
    Software languages known:
    Qbasic - TI-Basic - Liberty Basic - Visual Basic 6
    Software API's known:
    Directx 7 and 8
    Internet languages, in the process of learning:
    HTML - JAVASCRIPT - PHP - CSS - MYSQL - AJAX