Thread: [RESOLVED] randomly restarting pc??

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] randomly restarting pc??

I have just recently finished building a pc. It all seems to work fine. Except twice now it has restarted itself for no reason. the last time it occurred when I was playing a game, one of my disk drives (i have a dvd reader drive and a cd writer drive) made a strange noise, the screen went black and it automatically went throught the process of restarting itself??

Does Any1 have any ideas of what it could be or what i could try to stop it??

Thanks

GTJ

Re: randomly restarting pc??

If this only happens when playing this game then it could be, if cd based game, the cd or game has an issue/bug or the cdrom has an issue. Keep track of what your doing when it does the reboot so you can try to identify the source.

Does it happen when using any other cds?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Did the drive make the same noise it makes when you start up? Mine both spin down and make weird noises when resetting and starting up. Most likely the noise is due to the fact that the CPU has just reset itself.

Now spontaneous reboots can have several causes.

One is that your game crashes with a BSOD (Blue screen of Death) and Windows automatically restarted. This is an annoying "feature" which can be disabled in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Settings. Untick the "Automatically Restart" checkbox.

The other possible cause is that the CPU has overheated and reset itself. Mine does that automatically when it reaches 60°C, I believe it's a builtin (although somewhat questionable) AMD feature. If you have any temperature monitors, such as on the BIOS screen when the machine first starts up, check them and see if the CPU hasn't hit a high (~55°C+) temperature. If that is in fact the case, you will need to dismantle it from the motherboard and apply more thermal paste. Check also that you have adequate ventilation and airflow through your case, and that the CPU fan is working.

Hyperactive Member

Its not the game casue it happened when the game wasn't running.

The noise in the disk drive is the noise it makes when restartin so it is probs that.

I have Motherboard Monitor always running. When windows comes back up its always between 45-50.

Both times it restarted performing processor heavy tasks...

Well that sounds like an overheating or power issue. Either the CPU is overheating and spontaneously resetting or the power supply is being overloaded when the CPU load is high.

What wattage PSU do you have, and what type+speed of CPU?

Hyperactive Member

i have a 500w psu, and a amd athlon 3200+ overclocked to 2.44 ghz. Do u think its the overclock causing extra heat and therefore the restart?

There you go, thats NOT a stable overclock.

If your PC is randomly restarting after overclocking it's not stable at all.

Clock that chip back down and run Prime95 on it see if it comes up with any errors.
    Zeegnahtuer?

Almost certainly.

When you overclock a processor it by definition generates extra heat, and therefore needs more cooling than before to keep it stable. Either decrease the amount by which it is overclocked, or add more cooling to your system.

Most probably, if you've only just built it you should defnitely not be overclocking it.

Reset it to stock and do some testing, run benchmarks and burn ins etc. (SiSoft Sandra is a good tool for this). Then slowly increment the clock and keep running more benchmarks. If at a point it starts getting flaky wind it back about two increments and you should be safe.

You may also want to consider purchasing a more powerful heatsink+fan (HSF) for your CPU, it may be that your current one cannot cope especially if you are using the stock cooler.

Hyperactive Member

but i ran prime95 for a while and it came up with no errors....

Try running two instances of Prime95 at the same time. Leave it for around 12hours if you really want to stress it.
    Zeegnahtuer?

Try a new powersupply.

That's what caused this issue on my PC.

Addicted Member dim_kevin_as_human's Avatar

is there any delay from the time your monitor shuts off until the time it actually restarts?
    Dreaming men are haunted men.

Hyperactive Member

Re: [RESOLVED] randomly restarting pc??

i down clocked my processor a small amount and it has not restarted again. (touch wood)

Actually thats a lie. I restarted the other day, and when i loggerd back on told me that it was a windows stop error because a driver had failed to work properly or something?? very odd...

Addicted Member dim_kevin_as_human's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greythej
    i down clocked my processor a small amount and it has not restarted again. (touch wood)

Actually thats a lie. I restarted the other day, and when i loggerd back on told me that it was a windows stop error because a driver had failed to work properly or something?? very odd...

driver for what?
    Dreaming men are haunted men.

Hyperactive Member

well exactly, after sending the error report it came up with a diagnostic report that said it didn't know what the driver that crashed was for