Thread: [2005] winsock help(sending data)

Frenzied Member

[2005] winsock help(sending data)

ok i know how to send data but i need some help. i can connect and send data perfect when connected to 127.0.0.1(local ip). but when connecting to my real ip it doesnt work, it does connect on ports 25 and 110 but those are standard ports and it doesnt send data. anyone know y it would do this(yes im allowing it access to the internet). is there any certain port i should have my app listen to?

Hyperactive Member francisstokes's Avatar

Re: [2005] winsock help(sending data)

If your using VB05 then you won't be using WinSock. Try looking into the system.net.sockets class on google.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by francisstokes
    If your using VB05 then you won't be using WinSock. Try looking into the system.net.sockets class on google.
    y cant i just stick with winsock? i tryed this also on vb6 and the same thing was happening.

Hyperactive Member francisstokes's Avatar

WinSock is obsolete. If your learning about VB.NET you should try and drop all your VB6 habbits. There are a couple of socket resources in my sig if you want to take a look.

@high6 - do you use a router by any chance? I bet that is your problem, you need to forward the port on your router to your LAN IP, so when the router receives a connect attempt, it can pass the connection onto your VB app, if there port is not forwarded it will just ignore the connection request
    Chris

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by the182guy
    @high6 - do you use a router by any chance? I bet that is your problem, you need to forward the port on your router to your LAN IP, so when the router receives a connect attempt, it can pass the connection onto your VB app, if there port is not forwarded it will just ignore the connection request
    yes i have a router. how would i do this?

btw i would prefer to use winsock because i alrdy coded alot in it for my app and dont want to have to redo the whole thing.

your router must have some sort of control panel, on many (including mine) if i go to http://192.168.1.1 this brings up the control panel, and there is a link for 'port forwarding' and all I have to do is type in the IP and the Port, so that it knows to pass any connect attempt on that port to my network host IP which is 192.168.1.2. Different routers will have different layout control panels so thats the best I can give you, if http://192.168.1.1 doesnt bring it up, have a look in your instruction manual, and if you dont have a manual, i would type the model into google for some info.
    Chris

Frenzied Member

your router must have some sort of control panel, on many (including mine) if i go to http://192.168.1.1 this brings up the control panel, and there is a link for 'port forwarding' and all I have to do is type in the IP and the Port, so that it knows to pass any connect attempt on that port to my network host IP which is 192.168.1.2. Different routers will have different layout control panels so thats the best I can give you, if http://192.168.1.1 doesnt bring it up, have a look in your instruction manual, and if you dont have a manual, i would type the model into google for some info.
    well is there someway to do something like winsock that would work for routers?

If both the client and server are on your local LAN then you don't have to worry about forwarding ports on your router.

Instead of the IP address try the computer name.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by moeur
    If both the client and server are on your local LAN then you don't have to worry about forwarding ports on your router.

Instead of the IP address try the computer name.
    well i was later gonna use this for a remote assistance app so i need a way to connect 2 computers together through ip and send data back and forth between the 2.

Frenzied Member

well is there a way to do this with the app?