Thread: [resolved][02/03] logo on startup

Resolved [resolved][02/03] logo on startup

Hi!

I've written a program and it has become rather big now, with many controls and stuff and thus it takes about 3 seconds to launch.

Now I'm wondering how I can have one simple form shown up during the program startup like it is done for instance on Microsoft Visual Studio.
    I hope you know what I mean.

Can someone help me?
    Last edited by Moritz; Apr 8th, 2006 at 12:08 PM. Reason: resolved

Re: [02/03] logo on startup

it's called "Splash screen"
    it's a form template in VS 2005 but in 2003 you have to do it your self or search for a ready one on the net
    "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me... Superman!" - Homer Simpson
    My Blog

Hyperactive Member francisstokes's Avatar

In 2003 id say th best way to do it would be to have a form that shows up first, thats fromborderstyle property is set to none, with just a background image, and a timer to hide the form after 3 or 4 seconds.

Yeah, that's possible, having one form shown up in the first line of the program. The problem is, that it takes so long for the program to load, that the splashscreen appears only a fraction of a second before the rest of the program.
    I don't know if that's due to the size of the exe-file, because it is only about 900 kb.
    If that's the problem, do you think it would do to have 2 exe-files, one for the splashscreen and one for the actual program, or do you know other possibilities?

You can increase the stay time of splash screen. On your splash screen, create a thread and load your main form. In this way, your main form will be loading in parallel when your splash screen is visible to the user. Else you will have the same delay after your splash screen.

You need to do some hit and try to check how long it takes to load the main form to set the stay time of splash screen.

Thanks.

This articlewas written for the CF but you should be able to apply the very same principle to Windows apps.

Resolved Re: [02/03] logo on startup

Cool, that sounds promising.

Thanks!