Thread: Visual Studio Installer

With all the problem I got using Package & Deployment Wizard, I finally choose to use Visual Studio Installer instead.

It is another Microsoft product, so there is still some problem with it:

Everything is going fine except for the registry of crystl32.ocx. On some old computers, I got this message:

Error 1904. Module C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    /crystl32.ocx failed to register. HRESULT -2147023739. Contact your support personnel.

On these computers, I have to execute the Crystal Report 4.6 installation program (Crystl32.exe) which come with VB6.

I had allready installed IE5.5, Dcom95.exe and mdac_typ.exe on my old machines.

Anyone using VS Installer got this problem ?

registry problem

Have you vb sp4 insalled to vb? I've got the same sort of problem with the Package & Deployment Wizard before but there are sum "bugs" in that program. And after the installation of sp4 - it workt !!!

/Jonas

Yes I have installed SP4. It was supposed to fix all the problems. Well, there's still some.

I think my problem is some kind of "dll hell" problem. It happens regularly on old Pentium 133 Mhz. Like I wrote previously, I had allready installed IE5.5, Dcom95, Mdac_typ on those computers prior to my P&D wizard installation program. I also run regclear.

What happen is this: at the end of the installation process, an error message said that I have to restart my computer because my system files must be upgraded and that I must rerun my installation program after that.
    That's what I do and when I run the installation program again, the same message appears.

Thanks for your suggestion.

P&D Wizard file updates

I was trying to find the article in MSDN that I found that addressed this issue. I had problems with the P&D Wizard updating the OLEAUT32.DLL file that it needs to install. It turned out that the file is copied to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP folder and is then copied to the appropriate location on reboot. The problem was, my autoexec.bat files cleared out that folder upon boot up, so therefore the file wasn't there to update.

I believe this is the article I used to resolve this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q191/0/96.ASP

Hope this helps!!!

Dan

Lively Member

similar problem with msado25.tlb

I'm getting a similar problem when running a setup package created in VS Installer 1.1:

Error 1904. Module C:\Program Files\SpiritGearRemote\msado25.tlb failed to register. HRESULT -2147024769. Contact your support personnel.

The msado25.tlb file if for the ADO library, right?

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    My program uses an Access db, and it automates Word, Excel, and Outlook.

Also, when using VS Installer 1.1, is it still necessary to run DCOM98.exe and/or mdac_typ.exe prior to installing or does VS Installer take care of all of that for you?

Thanks,
    Greg