Thread: A couple of questions (button borders and obsure system trick...)

Question

I've been working on a security app, but I have some small problems.

I need to do two things right now:

Firstly, a UI fix - I need to fix the button borders on the standard command buttons to fit with a new background colour. As most of us have seen, the default VB command button doesn't properly fix its border for different colours. I know it can be done, but I'm not sure exactly how.

The other thing I need to do is to set a program to be run when when windows shuts down. The easiest way to do this would be to put a handler in the form_unload event, but I would like to do it without keeping the process running, if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

<?>

For backcolor on a command button you have to use the SS Sheridan Control shipped with vb or just use a checkbox with the style set to 1 or graphical. The checkbox will change shape and become a command button with a backcolor property. The only drawback is the button stays depressed when clicked. A third option is to use the graphic style on the regular command button and use an image as your color..ie..green bar with with text over it as a gif image.

"A myth is not the succession of individual images,
    but an integerated meaningful entity,
    reflecting a distinct aspect of the real world."

___ Adolf Jensen

Ok, thanks, i'll try that

Hmmm, actually, the problem is that if you use the graphical command button it just puts the image on top of a standard command button, it's still got the standard button underneath (see image at http://www.bohica.net/~brendan/Button.gif)

Also, what is the Sheridan control named in the components box?

What do you mean by "When windows shuts down?" When windows shuts down and/or exits to dos, you won't be able to run any vb programs.

I want to run a windowless vb app as windows is exiting to do some housekeeping stuff (mostly in the registry). It'd be easiest if the app doesn't have to be running the whole time though.

[Edited by Flaming_Monkey on 11-08-2000 at 11:00 PM]