Thread: Napster (sot of...)

Is there any way to connect to other computers online with the same program and share info automatically, like napster, and you can search what is in their /Music folder (like Napster)?
    That was easy.
    Now...
    How about without a server?????
    retired member. Thanks for everything

Frenzied Member
    I think you need a server (thats been my problem). So it has an IP that doesn't change (static?). Once it connects have it send the info to the server, and always recieve the list of music from the server. Once you find something, you send a message to the server telling it to deliver the file to you...and you download it

Someone correct me if I'm wrong

So that means you have to have some sort of database on the server to keep track of who's online and who's got what? Am i rite?

anywayz, what if you dont have access 2 a server? is there any other way to work around?

Hmm...

If you could manually create a list of computers that will be using this service that all have static IPs (or other static identities), then you could probably write an algorithm to pass around a DB of who's on/offline and what files they have.

Using a static IP server would be easier because then the clients wouldn't need static IP's and the server could automatically handle new users, etc.

Josh

Ok.
    I realize it would be very hard to do the above so.....
    Are there any servers where you can store databases for free?
    retired member. Thanks for everything