Thread: How to play specific midi notes...?

note: I'm NOT interested in knowing how to play an existing midi file. (I know how to do that!)

I'm just wondering how, with a general midi soundcard, from within vb, to pass midi in/out, pitch, etc (all or any of the stuff that makes up midi data) from a vb program, and have it produce that tone, from within the vb program.

Basically because I occasionally think up a melody at work that I want to remember, and would like to be able to produce those notes from within a program (and probably write them out to a file) so I can remember it when I get home.

Any help? I've searched this forum, and looked for a control, but haven't had any luck (so far... but I know you guys won't let me down, right?)

Thanks alot
    TheMadMonk

Lively Member

Control. Mabry used to manufacture a MIDI control, which would do exactly as you wanted. I have got this control, so if you want to give me your email address, I will send it to you.

Mark

Thanks. I checked there, and the only thing they had listed that sounded like it might be the right thing was "Soundx/x - Soundex and Metaphone ActiveX control"

Is this what you are talking about?

There was also a link there that I found to "Midi Pak", but it ended up just taking me back to the homepage.

If not, I will probably try letting you email what you have to me.

Thanks.

If you don't have time to create your own program, here is one that will allow you to use software to create a MIDI file from scratch. You just enter in the notes directly..

http://www.zelsoftware.com

I use the free one to test certain tunes also...

------------------
    John T. Mieske
    Star Trek LCARS programmer

Knight Vision Enterprises
    kvision@gate.net