Thread: Planning a game

Ok, I don't tell about the game idea. I just want some suggestions on what things to use in code etc.

First, should I use DirectX or BitBlt for graphics? I think the game won't change graphics mode, so the game is all the time windowed. Only battle mode will use the graphics (rest of the game is mainly controlling "resources").

Then how I should save the graphics data? Is the only choise BMPs? I have VB4 32-bit, no support for GIFs and JPGs.

More about the battle mode - what is the best way to control it? It's not real time, each "monster" gets it's turn in time. I just think I need somekind of timing so tell me what's the best (and maybe fastest).

Thanks for any answers,

Talking

Use direct X

If you want good ideas as to how to run the battle mode try something like the system used in the final fantasy games
    Da Ray!
    Games Bod

I will use battle more similar to Heroes of Might and Magic. Though there won't be many monsters army, only one graphic for one monster.

Ok, what do I need to start learning DirectX? Is there a package I should download (as I'm thinking I've to)?

I don't think you can use DX with VB4. I'm not sure, though
    GWDASH
    [b]VB6, Perl, ASP, HTML, JavaScript, VBScript, SQL, C, C++, Linux , Java, PHP, MySQL, XML[b]

Wink

if you ever need any apps or addons,
    download 'hotline client' from downloads.com or somewhere,
    then goto hotlinehq.com and find the link to goto search, check both the options, set teh amount per page to onehundred, the type to pcfiles, and do a search on vb6. you'll pull up a million hits. you can do this with everything else made for the computer also. its a great program.

Talking

hereos of might and magic's cool
    Da Ray!
    Games Bod