Thread: Exploring, explorer, explore

in a world where the sun always shines on the bloody tv!!

Cool

hi,

why oh, why oh, why,

when you create a security program that once you haved entered the correct username and password then you type the follwing in the program code,

shell = c:\windows\explorer.exe

windows in it's wisdom runs a copy of windows explorer minimised at the bottom of the screen, is there any way of sorting this out so it actually runs windows, i can't really be bothered to write my own interface,

"but" i hear you cry "Why don't you use the windows network login thing ? "

"becasue it can be hacked into in under 1 min"

Merlin ?

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

[Galahtech.com] | [My Site] | [Fishsponge] | [UnixForum.co.uk]

Fanatic Member
    Put your program in this list: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    It will be runned, before explorer starts. If the user doesn't enter the correct username/password, then shutdown the computer.
    Oetje
    oetje@home.nl
    Visual Basic 6, Windows 2000

Never pet a burning dog

will this when running prevent windws from running so you can't click on the icons etc, and does it once the correct password is entered continue to loads windows ?

Merlin ?

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

do i still put in the shell command, or can i just put un unload me ?

Merlin ?

-- Linus Torvalds

Or there is another way

If you have Windows 9x you can open c:\wndows\system.ini and look for the line '[shell] = Explore.exe". You can modify it with any path you want (provided that is msdos path). By running this program, no other program is loaded, not even the Registry.

But there is one problem. You do your program in VB and you put a button 'ok' and when the user clicks, it continues loading Windows (taskbar, Explorer, everything). And this I do not know how to do it...
    To make a program or not to make a program... that is the question. Or to destroy your computer's monitor, that's a second question

Re: Or there is another way

Originally posted by PNF
    If you have Windows 9x you can open c:\wndows\system.ini and look for the line '[shell] = Explore.exe". You can modify it with any path you want (provided that is msdos path). By running this program, no other program is loaded, not even the Registry.

But there is one problem. You do your program in VB and you put a button 'ok' and when the user clicks, it continues loading Windows (taskbar, Explorer, everything). And this I do not know how to do it...
    The Registry gets loaded whatever, it holds all the information Windows needs to load, it just doesn't link in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER key (because there isn't one, it runs off HKEY_USERS/.default).
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds