Thread: Upgradin 16 bit to 32 as web enabled

Hello All

Need some advice, suggestions on an upgrade I am about to take up.

Currently we have a Visual Basic application written in VB 4.0 16 bit and the back end is MS Access 2.0. The application is basically 3 vbp's calling each other using Shell function.

We are planning to upgrade this application to a web application using VB 6.0 and the database will be converted from Access 2.0 to SQL Server 7.0. I know that it is going to be an uphill task. Has someone tried anything like this before, if so could you share the secret. I am sure there are lot of gurus out there who have a good idea of what needs to be done.

For creating a Web Application, is IIS a good choice ?? Since ours is a huge application, i would still like to have 3 seperate projects that would interact with each other, do i have create them as dll's in that case ??

Will be thankful for any response and suggestions.

Thanks

The VB side shouldn't be too hard, but watch the data type sizes.

My only other comment is about a web application. I would suggest either ADO/ASP, or PHP. PHP is actually faster and more stable, but is totally different to VB, so may be harder to learn. It does support SQL server natively, so that won't be a problem.
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds