Thread: If this can be done you will all want to know.

I have a problem in that I have written a VB app that has to be installed on 200 PC's running Windows 2000 or NT.
    The problem is that tue users have not got administration privelages.

I have heard that a batch file can be written which makes use of CACLS.exe to change the permissions on a folder/file and allows DLL's OCX's etc.. to be registered.

Has any one heard of this and if so could they give me a few pointers.

Any help would really be appreciated as there is only one administrator, and He doesnt relly fancy a week of installs at 4 remote site.

Please help

Charlie

I know someone out there knows what I am talking about or has analternative suggestion. Any thoughts or comments would be better than none.

Red face VB

Cha,
    Have you got SMS. SMS will carry out remote installs of any windows based application. No need for visiting PC's. It can perform the Installation when a user logs on etc. etc.

If you don't have it - get it, payback in short time.

Bob

VBOB

I presume you are reffering to Microsoft's Systems Management Server.

Does it have to be installed on all the client PC's or just the Admin workstation. As this is a one off installation on the client machines would defeat the purpose.

Charlie

Thumbs up SMS

Charlie,
    Yes.
    This can be installed on a Server and the client configured remotely. It is an easy one off installation.
    Bob

Unfortunatly the Organisation the App is for does not see SMS as a viable option as this is a one off install.

I have read about Impersonation. (Does this meean anything to anyone) Where by a script (perhaps a batch file I am not sure)can be run by any user. The script logs on as a different user (the administrator) and registers the components. The User is not given Administrator privelages just the batch file.

Does this spark any thoughts with you all.

Hyperactive Member tumblingdown's Avatar
    Charlie,

How do your admins install 'regular' apps over the net (email progies, word, excel etc). How are regular upgrades done. Surely you can plug into this.

If not via sms, then from some scripting mechanism.

You often find an 'Apps' share on the network, which is basically where apps are run/installed from (you run ann app from the start menu, it is actually calling the script on the 'Apps' drive, which will run app and take care of any installs etc).

td.

"One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.

It is for a client and currently they do physically go round all the machines individually.

Basically they can't be bothered doing this and i am the one who has to come up with a solution.

Charlie

I have no clue how to do it the way you want to but I think the easiest thing for mass installs is to just compile an upgrade program and then install it on the nework server with the appropriate permissions as a setup exe. That way all the users who require the changes can just do an install of the new front end from the server. Shouldn't effect the database even if something goes wrong, so should be suitable. And it saves you the hassle of tweaking 200 computers. Hope that helps some,
    Bill

The actual exe is going to be run from their intranet server.

However for my application to work it requires dll's and VB runtime to be registered on each workstation.

it is beginning to look like I will have to tell the admin staff what they didn't want to hear.

Ya, in that case I think you are beat. You should convince them not to run from the server. That's a lame approach these days anyhow. Good luck all the same.
    Bill