Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When are we getting CHAT????

This question has been asked before, so I'm no pioneer, but

When are we going to be able to chat online?

It's all very well being able to see which of us sad "programmers" is online (and therefore doing no work), but what's the point if we can't chat to each other?

PLEASE!!!!!

(add your support below...)
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

Its simple.

Hi
    Well, I've asked this before, and John (the administrator) didnt give me a direct answer, but I (and anybody) could figure out what was the real reason.
    He just afraids that the VB questions will be asked there in the chat, instead of in the forums. It would decrease the forums traffic rate, which is now very high.
    There is no (efficient) way to detect whether the text written in the chat, is a VB question, and to forbid it.
    That's all.
    I would of course want this chat on this site, pretty interesting to talk to Megatron and Kedaman (and all the others) online, but on the other hand, I can understand John.

To Lior: Damn Right!!!

To John:
    Please put in a chat program, maybe like a Java one.
    Besides, how can we ask the VB questions there?
    Any chat program uses ONE LINE ONLY!
    So what's the big deal? In the chat everyone will chat about "Hey man, what's up?", "What'cha workin' on now?", "How much time do you use VB?" etc.
    So the VB questions will be asked in the forum and the chit chat will be there.
    I think it'll work!
    Asaf Sagi

E-Mail: sagiasaf@netvision.net.il

in a world where the sun always shines on the bloody tv!!
    This should really be in the chit chat section so i suggest that you move it now other wise john will get annoyed, but why don't you use icq that tells you when someone is online and then you can chat with them now, and if you are after their icq number just click on their profile and if they have one it will be there

Merlin ?

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

[Galahtech.com] | [My Site] | [Fishsponge] | [UnixForum.co.uk]

zmerlinz - dunno how to move the thing. Sorry.

I know all that stuff about ICQ, but it would be so much more convenient to have a chat option here. The thing that made me think of it again was that I saw that list of who's online, and I clicked on one to im them, but of course that doesn't happen.

Lior, I'm afraid I agree with Asaf - I too think the chat function would only be a solution for those annoying little questions that could be solved very quickly, leaving the forum free to deal with the more meaty questions. I'm sure very few people would attempt to paste a dozen lines of code into a chat window and have an intelligent response back.

Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

Thanks for the agreement man!
    Threads like that should be in chats...
    Hey, wanna make a VB ICQ ActiveList?
    Asaf Sagi

Lively Member
    Why not start a official VB chatroom on IRC. It will be seperate from the forums and only open for certain periods.

There's got to be other vb sites that have chat.
    May the source be with you

Lively Member

Try Serge's site

He has chat on his site. http://216.200.173.158/vbgarage/
    Kokopeli
    VB6 SP3

OK, I agree...
    Let's put something in IRC or an ICQ ActiveList.
    OK, the channel in IRC:
    Server: NewNet
    Channel: #VBWORLD

Is that cool?
    Asaf Sagi

Hyperactive Member
    Did you ever think that "Some" people may not want the intrusion of a Private message ? Who wants to get a message asking something they don't know how to answer ? Also this would add to the problem of "LAZY" people that CAN'T or just WON'T write their own code . I didn't want to contribute to this POOR IDEA but there's my thoughts .

ANYONE here of SEARCH ? I get my answers in about 3 clicks almost all the time .

No offence just my 2 cents ,

[]P
    Visual Basic 6 SP4 on win98se

QUIT THE RAT RACE BECAUSE YOUR MESSING THE WORLD UP !!!!!

Hyperactive Member
    See what I mean ? Look here .
    http://forums.vb-world.net/showthrea...threadid=37646

Your saying this isn't in the search's database ?

[]P
    Visual Basic 6 SP4 on win98se

QUIT THE RAT RACE BECAUSE YOUR MESSING THE WORLD UP !!!!!

Frenzied Member
    I think if there was a chat room that developers could goto just for a chat about stuff would be good. Or to have a developers chat place where theres like just normal chat. Chat about internet developing, chat aboute c++ etc. That way people can goto which ever room they like or not even bother.

Serges Site Will Be Good When Finished.

Arrow 4 John...

You see John, most of the ppl here want the chat feature,
    please, I think it will bring even more traffic to the site.

Lior.

My site has chat (even though it needs some more work, it is working), so check it out while John implements one on VBWorld.

Originally posted by Serge
    ...while John implements one on VBWorld.
    Are you sure he IS implementing the chat feature here?

Frenzied Member
    Hey, Serge,

Just checked out your site a little and it looks cool. Just thought you should know, though, that your page runs off my screen both right and down, and there is no way to scroll over or down to read all your content. (I'm talking about the "background" stuff, by the way, not the code/forum window. That works fine).
    ~seaweed

Hyperactive Member tumblingdown's Avatar
    another reason for chat is that neither icq/irc work from behind a firewall.

:-(

td.
    "One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.

I'm glad some of you agree anyway.

Re: IRC/ICQ - I think my point is that we all use this forum, we obviously all like it, and it would be just plain HANDY to be able to occasionally chat to each other, if only to say "Hey, I just replied to your post, you know the one you've been waiting a year for" or something. Que sera...

As for you, PRIVATE1, what a cynic! And rude to boot... In future, and before you slate anyone else in a post ("POOR IDEA" - so poor that no one else seems to agree with it), you might like to learn a) some spelling and b) some grammar...

[Edited by coox on 10-30-2000 at 06:46 AM]
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

MB is much better

I think there's no need for chat. If you wanna chat, chat elsewhere. There's plenty of chats.

I think the point in the MB is that in chats:

A) It's hard to paste code (as someone said before)

B) There's no history and search features (and therefore, same question may be asked all the time)

C) It mostly will be only talking about something else, most likely "how are you doing?" etc.

D) There's time differences. Most of people live all around the world and because of that the one who maybe could help isn't online. Though there is this messageboard.

E) Chat isn't faster than mb, even when it's real time.

There's some other reasons but you can read some above.

[Edited by MerryVIP on 10-30-2000 at 05:01 AM]

This is kind of old now, but there are a few VB rooms on irc networks. I use DALnet mainly, and there are 3 or 4 of them. Although I still think this is better. Most of the time people in those places do seem to ask the cheesy questions that can be answered if one were to RTFM.
    I'm baaaack...
    VB5 Professional Edition, VC++ 6
    Using a 1 gHz Thunderbird, 256 mb RAM, 40 gb HD system with Win98se

I feel special because I finally figured out how to loop midis: Post link
    I'm a fanatic too

Originally posted by Kaverin
    This is kind of old now, but there are a few VB rooms on irc networks. I use DALnet mainly, and there are 3 or 4 of them. Although I still think this is better. Most of the time people in those places do seem to ask the cheesy questions that can be answered if one were to RTFM.
    What's their names???
    Asaf Sagi

Lively Member

Cool

Yeah, that would be cool.

P.S. The SP3 means Service Pack Three

I've got SP4 for my 'puter.

Thanks Dark, I know it means Service Pack 3 (I loaded it), but what does that mean?
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

Wink

SP3 means that it's Microsoft's Third attempt to do what the origional version should have . . .

Evilgoddav

Frenzied Member

Go elsewhere for chat.

There already are so many typo's, misspellings, and poorly constructed sentences, that I dread the thought of what would appear in a chat room.

At least most of the posters engage brain before typing. Some use the preview facility. In a chat room environment, they might not do the former and cannot do the latter.

Forget a chat room. I want to see well thought out posts.
    Live long & prosper.

The Dinosaur from prehistoric era prior to computers.

Eschew obfuscation!
    If a billion people believe a foolish idea, it is still a foolish idea!
    VB.net 2010 Express
    64Bit & 32Bit Windows 7 & Windows XP. I run 4 operating systems on a single PC.

Talking

Hi all, i have read the lines before, and thinking if i can say something ....
    I used to go to chat.yahoo.com before i came to vb-world.net. Yahoo has lots of chat rooms, and there is a room for vb, c++, so-called programming room.... i went there very often but the people there were not talking about programming very often.... (although they were some serious and good progammer there)...
    i suggested we keep what we have right not in vb-world.net.. because some you-said-crazy-question might be important and not crazy at all for some people....and history and search are useful for other vb user ...
    If we need some space to chat, something we want to discuss something, hot topic? we can have a meeting time, onvce a week? then we all open icq or go to irc and chat... isn't it cool?

Asaf_99, the ones in DALnet that I can find in the list are #visualbasic (one that I go into to help people frequently), #visualbasic-helpdesk, and #visual_basic_6. There may also be more, but when I did the search they may not have anyone in them. If you type in "/list basic" you'll get a list of channels with "basic" appearing in them.
    I'm baaaack...
    VB5 Professional Edition, VC++ 6
    Using a 1 gHz Thunderbird, 256 mb RAM, 40 gb HD system with Win98se

I feel special because I finally figured out how to loop midis: Post link
    I'm a fanatic too

This is a VB Q&A resource forum. If you want chat then use ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!, MSN, mIRC. There's thousands of chat programs out there.

hi,

please place this in the chit chat section, i know that i am not an Administrator, but i feel obliged to tell you to do this, go to the bottom of the page and where it says

"Admin Option" click on move thread

Thankyou for your co-operation

Merlin ?

Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds

zmerlinz, get a life. If you're not admin, then don't fret!
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

nah i am worrying for you because you are miss using this forum and at least i know what SP3 is all about, did ya try reading the details on the website before you downloaded it ?

Merlin ?

(don't mean to be stressy, lack of caffine)

-- Linus Torvalds

Merlin - get some caffeine soonest. I feel for those immediately around you!

I didn't read no details on no crummy website coz I got the thing off the cd that came with vb. So I was snookered from the start you see.

Anyway, I'll move the post if you really feel that strongly about it...

And I'm sick of this post now - didn't realise so many felt so strongly about so little. V

I know I shouldn't ask this but - Merlin?
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

My name is Merlin because, i used to have a beard and i have magical powers, why coox ?

Merlin ?

-- Linus Torvalds

Because I'm a musician
    Nick Cook
    VB6 (SP6)

Hey I'm a musician too.

It doesn't count if you play spoons, Serge.

DerFarm

Wink Merlin ?

Do you use your magical powers for good or evil?

mainly for good purposes but occasionally for bad things, ussually to do with my computer

Merlin ?

-- Linus Torvalds

I have an 18 year old who really needs a motivation spell worked on him......can you help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast