Thread: Api question

Hybrid View

Where can i find good API tutorial?

Could ANYONE explain me what is API?
    (in normal words please)

If i want program to work with .ini
    file(load,save data etc.) do i need API

What is class?(I lost my help file so could anyone explain meplease )

Is it Hard to Leard API?

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

1. API - An acronym for Application Program Interface, the set of commands that an application uses to request and carry out lower-level services performed by a computer's operating system.

2. For INI files...yes you have to use API. Here is the quick example of how to save the information to INI file and then retrieve it back. Requires 1 Textbox and 2 Command buttons (cmdSave and cmdLoad)
    Code:
    Private Declare Function GetPrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetPrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpDefault As String, ByVal lpReturnedString As String, ByVal nSize As Long, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long
    Private Declare Function WritePrivateProfileString Lib "kernel32" Alias "WritePrivateProfileStringA" (ByVal lpApplicationName As String, ByVal lpKeyName As Any, ByVal lpString As Any, ByVal lpFileName As String) As Long

Private Sub cmdLoad_Click()
        Dim strBuffer As String
        Dim lRet As Long

strBuffer = Space(255)
        lRet = GetPrivateProfileString("TextSection", "Text1", "", strBuffer, Len(strBuffer), "C:\MyFile.ini")
        If lRet Then
            Text1.Text = Left(strBuffer, lRet)
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub cmdSave_Click()
        Call WritePrivateProfileString("TextSection", "Text1", Text1.Text, "C:\MyFile.ini")
    End Sub
    API are tough as you first start working with them, but after a while you will realize that they're not as tough as they seem.

Happy New Year.

------------------

Serge

Software Developer
    Access8484@aol.com
    ICQ#: 51055819

At last someone answered my questions

thank you thank you thank you thank you

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Where can i find good API tutorial? Visual Basic programer's guide to the WIN32 API, by Dan Appleman

Could ANYONE explain me what is API? Visual Basic is a high level language, in other words a language that does a lot of the grunt work for you. The API is a way to access some of the lower-level functions if you are willing to do a little more work. The benefit is that you can do some things you can't ordinarily do in VB, and do other things faster.

If i want program to work with .ini
    file(load,save data etc.) do i need API Strictly speaking, no, you can read and write to an ini file just like a regular file, but there are several easy to use APIs that make the jog much easier.

What is class?(I lost my help file so could anyone explain meplease )A class is a group of similar objects. I suggest you buy a book like "Doing Objects in Microsoft Visual Basic" by Deborah Kurata

Is it Hard to Leard API? Not if you have Dan's book.

------------------
    Marty

A class is a "blueprint" of an object. Once a class is instantiated, it becomes a single instance of that blueprint, aka an object.