Thread: Is VB as good as it sounds?

I am developing an application in VB6 Ent with Access 2000. And with the installation of the package, it's giving all sorts of errors.

We tried installing SP3, then SP4, but to no use. Sometimes it's the EXPSRV.DLL, sometimes it is MSCOMCT2.OCX and other times, the project itself behaves erratically.

We are a group of two people working on the application. Is there any way to ensure that the project references and components used by both will be same, version-wise?

And please don't mention SourceSafe, it has its own problems.

We are presently formatting our hard drives, installing Win 98 and then installing VB6. Can anybody suggest a better way?

I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

You'll need to make sure that both PCs have exactly the same system configuration - install the same software in the same order (seems silly, but works!)

Will they both be opening the same project file?
    I refuse to tie my hands behind my back and hear somebody say "Bend Over, Boy, Because You Have It Coming To You".
    -- Linus Torvalds

Visual SourceSafe was devised to retain proper file-dates and version numbers between many programmers working on the same project. I havent used it but this is what I have been told it does.

This is what it is now ...

OK, I shan't go into details of what errors we faced earlier, because to solve the errors we messed around with many things.

Finally, we decided to have the same software configuration on both the development PCs. (Your idea, Parksie, but we thought of it before reading your reply. Anyway, it's comforting to know that it works.)

Both the PCs were formatted and installed with a clean Win 98, then VB6 Ent (identical installation options) and then Office 2000 (again identical installation options).

We opened our project in the VB6 IDE, compiled it, and then created a setup file using PDW. Since previously we had burnt our hands with the EXPSRV.DLL, we decided to include that file manually to our setup. All components marked as shared were unchecked (so our project does not have any shared components now.)

The target machine was formatted and installed a clean Win 98 only, without any other software. The setup was run on the target PC, we had to reboot the machine once and then the setup proceeded fine. When we ran the application, half the forms opened and functioned well, but the remaining ones, containing a third-party control called VSFLEXGRID gave an error saying,

MSSTDFMT.DLL not registered ...
    We figured that some silly file called MSSTDFMT had to be included in our setup, too. Back to the VB6 IDE, set a reference to the MSSTDFMT.DLL file through Project > References, and regenerated the setup.

On the target machine, the previous installation was removed, and the new setup was run. Now this is what happens:

Step 1: The wizard shows a box saying 'Copying files, please wait ...'

Step 2: The wizard presents the various installation options including destination directory and start menu shortcuts.

Step 3: This is where the files started getting copied with a progress bar on the screen.

In step 3, we are now encountering an error saying something like,

Could not find ...\\@MSSTDFMT.DLL ....
    After a little mess-around, we concluded that the MSSTDFMT.DLL which is contained in one of the 3 cab files is not getting extracted to the TEMP\.... folder that the setup program creates. To overcome this error, we manually extracted only the MSSTDFMT.DLL file to the TEMP\.... folder and then ran the setup again. Now it worked fine, both in the installation phase and in the application phase.

Does this mean that the MSSTDFMT.DLL is NOT being extracted from the CAB files by the setup program? If so, what is the reason? The Properties for the MSSTDFMT.DLL show the version to be xx.xx.xx.69, but in the MSSTDFMT.DEP file the version is xx.xx.xx.40 Is it because of this? If so how to get an updated version/dependency file? We even tried to edit the .DEP file and change the version number, but no use.

One more thing: After reinstalling plain VB6, Microsoft Windows Common Controls-2 6.0 is tagged as (SP4). Any guesses? The C:\ was formatted before reinstalling VB6, and there are no service packs installed.

By the way, wossname, I tried using SourceSafe. We are now maintaining two different projects, one containing my forms, the other containing my partner's forms. Whenever we need to compile the whole thing, I import his forms into my project and compile it. That's what we find working better than using SourceSafe, where half the time you don't know if your files are Checked OUT or Checked IN. As far as possible, try to avoid it, or else, learn it fully.

Another thing I forgot to mention: The very first time we tried the setup, it crashed with a Jet VBA error. That's the reason why we added EXPSRV.DLL manually to our setup files. Still the installation would crash. Then we found out that this EXPSRV.DLL is marked as a self-registering DLL, whereas it actually isn't so. We installed SP3 which claimed to correct this problem, and though this problem was corrected, we faced other problems. Now we include this file in the setup, create the setup and then edit the Setup.LST file to remove the $(DLLSelfRegister) tag from the entry of the EXPSRV.DLL file. That problem seems to be taken care of now.
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Well ...

At least we have been able to solve the mystery of MSSTDFMT.DLL, thanks to the work put in by my colleague. In all his forms, the DataFormat property of all textboxes had been set, not by himself, but somehow. He removed the property from all forms and now the setup does not require MSSTDFMT.DLL

In future if you have any installation problems, please contact ...

Better still, I intend to write a book about Installation Woes with VB

How's the idea?
    General VB Faq Thread

Well ...

OK, here is another snag.

When the application is being installed on the Client PC which runs Win 98 with Office 2000, while copying the file EXPSRV.DLL, the program gives an 'Access Violation' error. No other applications are running when the installation is in progress. What could be the reason for it?
    General VB Faq Thread