Thread: Do I have to include the OCX with the released EXE ?

Hi,
    I wanted to know please:
    lets say I used in my project some external ActiveX control I made.
    When I give the user the compiled EXE (he already has the VB runtime files), do I have to give him also the MyPrivateControl.OCX in order to be able to run the prog?

10x.

You have to give all ActiveX controls and dll's used in your project in order to run the program

10x.
    and btw, is there a way to include the runtime files and the external control used, in the EXE itself?
    (without using the Setup Wizard).

10x in advance,

Question Not sure if you would want to

Generally with activex/ocx we release them as separate objects, therefore if we want to make a change in one of the controls, we don't have to release the entire exe etc to allow user upgrades.

Yeah, but let's say I'm 100% sure I won't need to change or update the OCX. then what?

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar
    IF those controls are yours, you could as well merge the project files, just add the usercontrols, modules and classes over to your Exe and compile.
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Wink Good thinking kedaman, but............

.....the problem then becomes the size of the exe, and the additional usage of memory.

Lior

If there is no change to an ocx and it has already been distributed then no you don't have to include it.

Jethro
    and the additional usage of memory
    And why does it consume more memory?
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Thumbs up Depending on how you load your ocxs etc

It is possible, by excluding ocx controls from exe, to not actually load them into memory until they are used. For example, a utility to format data to excel/word, if it is never actually used it does not necessarily end up in memory.

Jethro, a good one
    Use

Thumbs up Hmmm...currently working on something we call Framework

Basically, if ya don't need a feature on your local PC it can be passed off to a server, which will run it when system usage is down. Still having problems with net traffic, so am still trying to figure out the rules for it

Had to do it cause a client tried loading a 3 gig database into a spreadsheet....it wasn't pretty