Thread: Only for real math pros!

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar

Talking

An upside down cone with diameter 10m and height 8m is being filled with water, 0.1 m^3 per minute.

What's the speed the surface raising when the water height in the cone is 4 meter
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Frenzied Member
    I make it (48/(250*pi)) * ( ( 192 / (25*pi) )^(-2/3) ) /60
    = 5.61296766986877E-04 m/s

about half a centimetre per second

Hey, I got 2.12E-5 m/s
    That's 21 micrometers per second, about 1,2 millimeters/s

Something must have screwed up, either you or me or both got wrong answers, so

did you get this equation for height?
    h=2t/(625pi)^(2/3)
    and then got the derivate and put in t in it?
    I got t=20000pi seconds for h=4
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

838 m^3 should go in the cone, and if you fill it 0,1m^3 /minute, should take up nearly six days to fill
    Use

Frenzied Member
    my bad, I missed out a couple of constants
    I got 2.97001026127106E-04 m/s this time, I've done it a completley different way though. I worked out the height in terms of the volume first then found the derivitive and divided by 600

Frenzied Member

Show the work!

Hey guys, we will never decide what is correct answer without showing how it was derived.

Check the following.

V = Pi*r^2*h/3 (Cone volume in terms of height & radius).

For cone in question, r = 5*h/8

Hence V = Pi*(5*h/8)^2*h/3

or V = 25*Pi*h^3/192

dV = (25*Pi*h^2/64)*dh

dV = (25*Pi*16/64)*dh

dV = (25*Pi/4)*dh

.1 = (19.635)*dh

dh = .1/19.635

dh = .00509 meters/second

I did not recheck all of the above. If you disagree, show me my error. There might be one.
    Live long & prosper.

The Dinosaur from prehistoric era prior to computers.

Eschew obfuscation!
    If a billion people believe a foolish idea, it is still a foolish idea!
    VB.net 2010 Express
    64Bit & 32Bit Windows 7 & Windows XP. I run 4 operating systems on a single PC.

I'm sorry there was a typo in the qwestion, the radius should be 10m not the diameter. But that won't affect the methods to solve it, thanks for your input Guv
    Use

the speed it takes is about the speed it takes arbiter to down a Pint hehehe. sorry just needed to put some humor into this post. back to the assylum I go.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!