Thread: visual basic 7 and C#

hi guys ... i would just like to get your comments on this: based on the released articles, microsoft is claiming that it will combine the power of C++ and the ease-of-use and speed of development of visual basic together in their new language - C#

in line with this, how would visual basic stand up to this? what would be the advantages of visual basic over C#?

thanks for your opinions in advance

Well I don't know exactly what microsoft wants us to do with C#, but I think I have an idea.

When you program in C you don't program with variables like in VB but you use the place in the memory. Making it easy to get information out of an other program, or placing it ofcourse.

I hope that this also mains I can do more directly instead of using hundreds of API Calls. When I understand correctly, you don't have thos in C.

An other advantage I think that will be there is the one we don't see. Microsoft said that the compiler used in C# will produce even faster programs than C.

I'm not sure if I have all these things about C right, but this is what Microsoft intends to do.
    Catch you later,

Jeroen Hoekemeijer
    Code:
    If 1 = 2 Then MajorError

Addicted Member
    It appears that C# is the web enabled, dumbed down version of C++. It shares it's run time libraries with VB.Net, and really doesn't offer much functionality that VB.Net doesn't have. I heard that it basically is intended to give C++ users the same web abilities and ease as VB users have without making them learn a new language structure.

See this link for more information on Visual Studio's next release.

Addicted Member
    Also see this article in this month's VBPJ.

http://www.devx.com/upload/free/feat...011/en0011.asp

thanks for the inputs ... especially the "why you won't switch to C#" link

Addicted Member
    I was planning on jumping right in to C#, but after reading that article, I'm going to research it before making any decision on C#.