but my vb app is writing so
    what should i do if i want the answer 3.0 or just 3

what is a class?

how many hours left till Y2K?

MsgBox (1.5 + 1.5)

How do you get 30?

Class = Goto: Help File

Wayne

The difference between C++ and VB is huge! VB is mainly used for "smaller" applications. Things that do not require mass amounts of files. C++ is one of the main languages of choice for large developement companies who are designing massive software packages. Basically, C++ is for the people who do not want to be bound by predefined routines. Because one of the main drawbacks to VB is that there are a lot of things that you can't do because Microsoft says you can't. Also, VB is exclusively for Windows. C++ can be used anywhere (I think even on Macs). However, they also make a Visual C++. And that is specifically for Winows, just the same as VB. But it still has a lot more flexibility to it than VB. Don't let the flexibility of C++ get you all googly-eyed, though, because C/C++ is an extremely difficult language to learn, probably about 10 times more difficult than VB. But that is a direct result of it's wider compatibility, fewer restrictions, increased speed when executing, and more reliable applications. My recommendation would be, to get a fair amount of programming experience under your belt before you try to challenge one of the Daddies of programming languages. Right now, VB is just a teenager. And if you get really ambitious, then you can go for one of the Grand Daddies, like COBOL, or FORTRAN. However, if you are not prepared, before long you will be swimming in a pool of your own saliva from your nervous breakdown. Pleasant thought, huh?

------------------
    Ryan
    cornelsen@hotmail.com
    ICQ# 47799046

Most apps that are written for windows are in C++/VC++ because of it's flexibility and power.

However, most companies that will want to hire you will want VB instead of VC++. How many jobs do you see for VC++ as opposed to VB? Not many. Visual Basic is meant for the developer to have the highest level of productivity, and to shield us from low level operating system functions.

Think of all the code you would have to write in C++ to get the default VB window. (which requires no code), or even link a database to a form (a data control and a data grid, once again no code). You can have yourself a client/server app in 5 minutes, assuming the database is ready to go. If you want more control, use the API, which you'd have to use anyway in C++ to get more windows functions. Also imagine trying to debug a 10,000 line C++ program (or Java for that matter) that won't compile because you are missing a semicolon on line 6,341. Have fun, more VB for me to enjoy.

On the downside, you are bound to the Microsoft O/S, but in this M$ market, you won't have too much trouble finding a good job.

Something to think about....

You all make some good points. But the one that I would have to agree with is the fact that more and more Jobs are looking for VB programmers. Don't ask me why.. But it's true. I look in the paper, and EVERY ONE of these type jobs ALL require VB experience. C/VC++ are good to know too, but not as required as it was a couple years back. I remember when C++ was all everyone wanted you to know.. but times have changed.

Clunietp makes an interesting comment..
    "You can have yourself a client/server app in 5 minutes.."

It's true, in VB you can. And THAT is the reason WHY these companies are wanting VB programmers. They don't want to pay the programmers by the hour anylonger. Too expensive for them. They want apps fast, which is what VB can do for them.

Gimpster said something that was also interesting.

"Because one of the main drawbacks to VB is that there are a lot of things that you can't do because Microsoft says you can't."

He is right and wrong. You CAN create anything you want. MS can't stop you. Otherwise they would not have made the program language to begin with. But, they do have MANY Copyrights. But if you are a good enough programmer, you CAN make the DLLs or OCXs yourself with VB. And then you CAN go beyond the Copywrite. So no, there are NO limits. VB can do whatever you want to spend the time on doing. But that's the key, TIME. And that is where building yourself a LIB is all about. I see some people already doing this. I myself have one.

Bottom line is this, VB is just as versital as C++, and it's easier to make a VB app then a C++ app..

My VOTE = VB
    Knight