Thread: Distributing Crystal Report Engine & ActiveX Control

Hi
    I've written a small application (in VB 5 Enterprise Edition) that uses crystal report for report generation. I just compile my project into EXE (Native Code), WITHOUT using application setup wizard. All the necessary DLLs and OCXs are put together with the Executable file in a folder. I can run my executable file on other PCs that don't have pre-installed VB5, the only problem is I CAN'T run the part that uses Crystal Report ActiveX. A message like "Component Crystl32.ocx Not Correctly Registered: File Is Missing Or Invalid" appears, and then the program suddenly quits.

In fact, I also packed the Crystl32.ocx and Crpe32.dll (Engine) in the same folder , and then I made another copy of these files into the windows\system\ directory, the message still appears. As I read thru the documentation, there's no need to include Crystl32.ocx but Crpe32.dll in a compiled and distributable program. I don't know why there's a message prompting me that Crystl32.ocx is not registered correctly. In this case, should I install a FULL CRYSTAL REPORT PROGRAM on any PC that runs my program ? Or else, how can I REGISTER the Crystl32.OCX on other PC ? Oh, What a headache.

Thanks for your attention and reply in advance.

Ok, I have found that DLLs have to be in the registry. (REGEDIT) You need to know where it's at in the registry first B4 you try to run them. Also, you MUST reboot the system so that it will take ahold of the DLL and set it up to execute it.

I hope this helps..

Knight

From the Run Section of the Start Menu try,

RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Crystl32.ocx

or use the Same Syntax to Register the DLL.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    ajyoung@pressenter.com