Thread: I read somewhere.....

Hyperactive Member

Question

I read that one cannot upload an SQL database to a webserver, but must "manage" it using Enterprise Manager. Unlike something like access which can be uploaded/downloaded at will.

Is this true?? Does this mean that if I want to add 3000 records to my SQL database that I'll have to be connected to the web for the time it takes me to do this or does this only ring true when subsequent changes (adding,deleteing,modifying records) are done.

Thanks,
    T

Hyperactive Member

Angry

........Just to get me to the top!!!!

Can't anyone give me and answer/advice on this!!??

That is pretty much true. You can import tables pretty easily into a SQL database. SQL 7 is almost as easy to work with as Access with the added bonus of scalability.

Databases in SQL are also stored in files and you can shut down the service on one SQL server and use the system stored proc sp_attach_single_file_db to attach them to the other SQL server, but you have to be able to connect and have admin rights on the 2nd server to do it.

oOOo--oOOo
    __/\/\onte96
    oOOo--oOOo
    Senior Programmer/Analyst
    MCP
    monte96_@hotmail.com
    monte96@vbgarage.com

Your results may vary.. some restrictions may apply.. pricing and participation may vary.. not available in all states.. professional driver closed course..quantities limited..

Hyperactive Member

Question

Thanks Monte96.

Does that mean that I can create my database & fill it with the records I want locally, on my pc and then upload it to my website whenever I'm ready to go "live" with it..... OR do I have to create the db & tables & fill it with records while been connected to wherever I'm hosting.

Or another eg.... say I want to delete 100 record from the db. and I have a the exact same copy at my host and locally on my pc.... can I delete these 100 records locally and then upload the "new/updated" tables to my host and just overwrite the one already there??

This book I read realy bowled me over because I'm used to playing around with access and uploading,changing,deleteing, adding, downloading etc etc as I please, but now that I want to move to SQL it seems like it's MUCH more complicated!!??

No. You have to either make a backup of your database and have the ability to administer it remotely (which you can't since your not on the host domain) to restore it on the server.

In order to be able to attach the database, you have to be able to execute system stored procs which I doubt your web host would allow.

But, importing tables into SQL STILL requires you to be able to use Enterprise Manager to access it and administer it. If you can't do that, you can't do what you are trying to do with it.

Access is self contained database files so it's better from that standpoint but it is not a DBMS. It does not do server side processing. When you request a recordset, the entire thing is sent over the wire.. and it will not be able to handle more than about 10 or so users connected at the same time.

oOOo--oOOo
    __/\/\onte96
    oOOo--oOOo
    MCP
    monte96_@hotmail.com
    monte96@vbgarage.com

Your results may vary.. some restrictions may apply.. pricing and participation may vary.. not available in all states.. professional driver closed course..quantities limited..

Fanatic Member
    So do you half to do the save with MySQL?

Never used MySQL. I'm talking about Access VS. SQL Server
    oOOo--oOOo
    __/\/\onte96
    oOOo--oOOo
    MCP
    monte96_@hotmail.com
    monte96@vbgarage.com