Thread: Detect the computers name or IP Address

Addicted Member

Talking

Hi there i am trying to create a chat room in VB using the winsock control, however security restrictions on NT4 do not allow me to access the computers name or IP Address, do you know how i will get round this problem. If you have any ideas then please let me know.

Rohan

If the computers are already connected to your chat when you need the IP just have them send it as data. If you need it without being connected then good luck.

Addicted Member

How do you connect to a remote computer

How do you connect to a remote computer if you dont know the RemoteHost name?

Lively Member
    You can't connect to anything that you dont the name or IP, unless you send data to that machine. Ie do a (slow) FOR-loop going through all the IPs in your subnet or something. Network cards(or drivers) normally fire an event on a machine if there is data sent to it, so you need to ask every machine "Are you the one i am looking for?" to find the right one. I dont know if there is a way to enumerate all the machines in a local network, so that you can send a message to each of these.
    The best way to eliminate the sloooow FOR-loop is to have a server. Every client tells the server(with a defined IP) that they are here, and tells the server its IP. The client can then of course ask the Server what other IP's are connected to it, and then you can talk to those.

Hope this helps.