Page 1594 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 59410941494154415841591159215931594159515961597160416441694 ... LastLast
Results 63,721 to 63,760 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

That's one of the issues with medicine: We know so much that we forget that we don't know even more. This may be particularly true with what you call "lady issues", for whatever reason, but it's true for all of us. For example, I believe that itching is not understood. We all know what it is, we might be able to identify some things that cause it, but we don't know what is actually happening from a medical standpoint. An itch is a feeling that causes us to scratch, which is a definition based on the symptom and not the cause.

It's one of those things. We often don't quite know.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

She just gets in so much pain and swells up so much during that time (which is neither regular nor predictable) and we were desperately hoping that we’d finally be able to relieve her of that pain.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Sounds frustrating. It sucks when you've got "we know something's wrong, we might even have a name for it, but we have no idea of why it's happening or what to do about it."
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Hey DDay i dont know if this is of any help at all and a really weird place to be posting women's medical advice but ...

If the pain is period related i know my sister really suffers badly from it and about a year after the birth of her Daughter she went on the Pill as it stops cycles and basically eliminated her pain. I know its a bit of a strange solution but it absolutely works for her.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

She did that at one point, not birth control, but some pill that tricked her body in going into menopause. This actually worked and helped her, but she got off of it when we started trying for children.

We've talked about getting her back on it, but there are a bunch of side effects that, to be honest, she is afraid of going through again.

We'll see I suppose. She has a follow up appointment in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Hey DDay i dont know if this is of any help at all and a really weird place to be posting women's medical advice but ...

If the pain is period related i know my sister really suffers badly from it and about a year after the birth of her Daughter she went on the Pill as it stops cycles and basically eliminated her pain. I know its a bit of a strange solution but it absolutely works for her.
    Why, do you think it is off topic for the post race?

The pill is just hormones. It certainly does have an impact if you are wanting to have kids, but otherwise it is frequently used to even out hormonal cycles. A friend of mine, whose wife is a nurse, said that their fourteen year old daughter went on the pill simply because her cycles were messing her up. That other pill just sounds like the larger dose pill that some women are using to stop their cycles entirely. They don't appear to have any long term impact....but you sure aren't likely to have kids with either version.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

The only thing that would seem weird in CC would be posting code lol
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

The only thing that would seem weird in CC would be posting code lol
    Code:
    While (MrsD.Health==Poorly)
       GoodVibes.Send
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Today has not been a good day. I think that I bombed a job interview for a senior developer position in Metairie .

Don't stress it. You're going to bomb one from time to time. Just take it forward into the next one.

She did that at one point, not birth control, but some pill that tricked her body in going into menopause. This actually worked and helped her, but she got off of it when we started trying for children.

We've talked about getting her back on it, but there are a bunch of side effects that, to be honest, she is afraid of going through again.
    Well good luck i just thought i would mention it in case it might help.

Why, do you think it is off topic for the post race?
    not off topic as such just strange that a man with no real medical knowledge is giving another man advice about women's reproductive medical issues ................... but now i put it like that its sounds absurd and so is probably perfect for post race.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Today has not been a good day. I think that I bombed a job interview for a senior developer position in Metairie .
    Take it as practice for when the right job comes around. You can never interview too much.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

not off topic as such just strange that a man with no real medical knowledge is giving another man advice about women's reproductive medical issues ................... but now i put it like that its sounds absurd and so is probably perfect for post race.
    Even better, I read that "medical" as "mechanical", and was going to point out that this wasn't so much a mechanical issue. Since it's the post race, I'm going to point out that this isn't so much a mechanical issue.

When you bomb an interview, there is always a non-zero chance that it's for the best.

If its meant to be its meant to be and you will get teh job. I have bombed interviews before where I thought it was a good job but later got the right job that was so much better. So it can actually be a good thing to bomb a job

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

That got me thinking back on interviews I have had. There have been very few, really. Five total, I think, of which I got four of those jobs, and the fifth...by the time I got to the interview, I had talked myself out of that job, so I wasn't all that eager.

The funniest one, though, was an interview that I didn't know was an interview until an hour, or so, before it happened. I was told, "we'll do the interview after X". I don't remember what X was, but my thought was, "interview??? For what??" It turned out to be an actual interview, with a panel, but boy was it loose. One of the people on the panel answered a question for me, before it was asked, so the guy who was going to ask the question started out with, "not much point in asking this, now, but I was GOING to ask...."

I have had allot of interviews over the years. Times were tough at times and when I really needed a job I put too much pressure on myself to nail the interview. I found I did best when I was just going for "practice". Interviewing is a major benefit regardless of if you get the job or not. So I would try to go on as many as I could. When everything is meant to be it will happen but if you are too nervous or too much pressure it will drag you down and you may not get the job you are meant to have.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I’ve given a lot of interviews over the past 3 years, but it’s been nearly a decade since I’ve been interviewed.

Well I just got an email back it was better than I expected. They invited me to an in person interview to do some live coding and because I’m self taught and “focusing on languages quite differently than they use” it’ll be a contract to hire position if they offer me the job.

Now THAT's a bomb you can believe in.

With my strong Visual Basic .NET background, what would y'all recommend I do to familiarize myself with C#? I can read it fairly well, I just feel like it is a second language I'm not fluent in. Kind of like knowing Spanish to understand someone speak, but stumble over your words when you try to respond.

With my strong Visual Basic .NET background, what would y'all recommend I do to familiarize myself with C#?
    Really you have just got to get your hands dirty and do some coding in C#.

maybe build a web service, as that is quite a nice and contained project, and then a test project to call the service.

look out for things like handlers which are different in C#

maybe play around with linq in C# as that is something i know i some people like to use in coding tests

also possible asynch await might be something to look into

1) Start a project in Xamarin (which uses C#).
    2) Throw your computer out the window in frustration.
    3) Repeat until insanity sets in.

1) Start a project in Xamarin (which uses C#).
    I have to disagree with this, i know you had a bad experience, but the tooling and integration with VS has improved massively since MS took over Xamarin. Also there is quite a lot of content on Xamarin that there wasn't before including a ton of stuff on youtube.

Also the debugging process has got immeasurably better. I pretty much only debug straight on to a device now and its quick and simple to do.

I actually find the Xamarin development now one of the most enjoyable things i do at work.

I just got a sextorition phishing email that included an old password that was compromised in a data breach years ago. These scammers are getting good.

Worst "super"bowl ever! Boring AF.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I have to disagree with this, i know you had a bad experience, but the tooling and integration with VS has improved massively since MS took over Xamarin. Also there is quite a lot of content on Xamarin that there wasn't before including a ton of stuff on youtube.

Also the debugging process has got immeasurably better. I pretty much only debug straight on to a device now and its quick and simple to do.

I actually find the Xamarin development now one of the most enjoyable things i do at work.
    That's good. I'll have to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Worst "super"bowl ever! Boring AF.
    Yeah. That sure was a surprise. The #2 and #4 offenses going against each other and THAT was the final score? Never would have predicted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah. That sure was a surprise. The #2 and #4 offenses going against each other and THAT was the final score? Never would have predicted that.
    That just means both had great defenses keeping the offenses at bay from scoring.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

There's a meme going around right now saying "Imagine spending $3,000+ on a Maroon 5 concert and a field goal".

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    That just means both had great defenses keeping the offenses at bay from scoring.
    Yeah, but they didn't. The Pats had the #7 scoring defense, while the Rams were pretty bad against the run and had the #20 scoring defense overall.

PowerPoster

In reality those stats at best are an indication of their defense. Some teams have more points scored on them because they're always ahead and give up junk points/yards at the end of a game. I'm with Rob, that was an excellent defensive game.

5 days o rain now, stoooop!

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

We'll take your rain. We're still below average for snowpack, and at this point, I think we'd be happy with whatever we got....though rain on the heights wouldn't be so good.

Feb is always our rainiest month of the year. "maybe" a week and a half of rain in the month which is about all for the year

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I got the job offer! I’ll work remotely for the first 3 months to see if I fit their business and at or before the 3rd month I’d relocate to NOLA.

I haven’t accepted it yet, but I will give them an an answer tomorrow morning. I need to really go over this with my wife first.

PowerPoster

Well it seems like you got 3 months to make any hard decisions. Until then what's the down side of working from home. Your free to pursue other jobs and even if you decide not to go to NO they might just let you continue working from home because they're so impressed by your knowledge and quality of work.

@dd - congrats. You went from disliking how the interview went down to getting hired! That's good stuff.

I vote for "try-it-out" - what do you have to lose for 3 months remote coding!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Go, DD!

So much for bombing the interview

Page 1594 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 59410941494154415841591159215931594159515961597160416441694 ... LastLast