Page 1609 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 60911091509155915991606160716081609161016111612161916591709 ... LastLast
Results 64,321 to 64,360 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

I hope one day I can own something
    My usual boring signature: Something

You can always own debt.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

[color=-navy]Its actually raining today and no not sprinkling but heavy rain. [/color]
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'd rather not own debt. My only debt currently is my student loans which will hopefully be paid off by the federal government. Not because of Bernie, but because I work in the public sector.

The rain was very nice today. One of my favorite things is to be nice and dry inside and watch the rain through the window.

But there must be some chemical in the rain that causes amnesia, because everyone forgot how to drive.

Happy Friday the 13th

I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    The rain was very nice today. One of my favorite things is to be nice and dry inside and watch the rain through the window.
    On the few rainy days in this desert that I live in, I do my best to enjoy it. I'll sit and look out into the back patio and remember all the days of rain I've hiked in. Being warm and dry is especially nice when you haven't been.

I love a good panic.

PowerPoster

Was reading an article about the senate wanting to make changes to the sick leave section of the relief bill congress passed. I figured politics as usual. Then I saw this change,

The revised legislation also specifies that employers could exclude health care workers and emergency responders from either paid leave provision, amid fears of staffing shortages among medical providers. The original measure would have given that power only to the Department of Labor.
    That is incredibly perverted. The very people that put their health at risk to help others and are probably the most likely to be infected, you don't want to insure they get paid sick leave, you want to try and forces them to come to work. My daughter is a critical care nurse and has already said that she has accepted the fact she will get infected but plans on working till she does. I hope that part of the bill is changed, got a feeling it might blow up in their face by angering the very people their depending upon.

edit: Dam, just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.

It's not totally wrong. It's the post race, so you're entirely on topic.

There is no on topic in post race

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Get some nuts

Name:  a6473a3138de094ed3d9ba_l__00440.1382642732.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  24.9 KB

Yay! Go nuts!

PowerPoster

So our government seems more worried about giving us cash than they are about giving us testing. I told my kid if I die don't call the authorities until they cash my check. lol

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I think the cash is a sensible measure to get through the inevitable economic impact that's going to come from this. But, yeah, tests too. Surely.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

They can pass out cash far more easily than they can fix all the shortages around tests in this country.

Hopefully, they won't be passing out cash to EVERYBODY. I don't think that I should get it, but I probably will. The people who need it are the ones who are out of work or quarantined. It's probably too hard to target the right people.

The cash isnt enough to really help people. Plus Newsome just stated that the state has a surplus of 21 billion. So then why are they always saying we are broke and need more taxes?
    Plus, whats the point of giving cash if we still cant buy toilet paper? lol

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post

Plus, whats the point of giving cash if we still cant buy toilet paper? lol
    Welllll........it IS paper.......

PowerPoster

23 trillion national debt and yet anytime they want they seem to be able to check their pocket and find an extra trillion. Never have understood how that works.

It works because nobody cares about the deficit.

I'm pretty much a deficit hawk, but I find I kind of have to sit on my hands these days. The deficit is HUGE, but the debt is Treasury bills, which are dirt cheap. The interest rate is so low they're barely worth having, though I have my share, as well. The reason people hold them is because it's the safest stash for cash in the world today. Yeah, the returns are pretty poor, but they're quite reliable, too, so in times of doubt, people pour into US debt. So, with interest rates down around 1%, and people buying hand over fist, it's practically free money for the government. All of us who have treasury bills are the ones loaning them the money, which means lots of Americans, but lots of foreign sources, as well. The world will pay the US bills, even with a puny interest rate, as long as everybody trusts that the US government is good for it.

That's particularly ironic, in this case. After all, there's talk of giving all taxpayers some chunk of money. I don't need it, so what would I do with it if they gave me a check? I'd put it into my rainy day bond fund...which would mean that they'd be going into debt to give me money that I'd use to buy a bit more government debt. That seems very circular.

PowerPoster

I hate the debt too. I knew the debt was tied to the bonds but what I don't understand is where did this trillion they're going to give people come from? Was it just sitting in a safety deposit box some where. Is there some type of emergence fund somewhere. Or is it lets fire up the presses and print another trillion?

There is a push for the latter, and it may happen. Printing money is generally thought to push up inflation, and eventually it must, but inflation has been so low for so long that there are plenty of people who think that a bit more inflation would be good. Not too much, but a bit.

If that isn't done, then, yeah, it's pretty much just sitting around in safety deposit boxes. It's a huge number, but compared to the global pool of wealth, it's trivial. Right now, EVERYTHING is selling. Stocks are tanking, but bonds are down, as well, as is gold, oil, and economically significant metals like copper. If everybody is selling, then where's the money going? If people are selling, then somebody is buying. They're just not paying as much. The same number of stocks are out there, you can just buy them for a LOT less than you could a month and a half back. So, if all the big hedges are selling, then there's a whole lot of money that is going out of the market, and it has to go somewhere. Right now, it's going into cash. That's...something unusual, as far as I can tell.

A quick look wasn't able to show me how much money has been pulled out of stocks and bonds, thus far, but I think it's tens of trillions. If that's moving into cash positions, then that's the money that would buy the new bonds the government sells to cover the trillion dollars. Of course, they have to sell bonds that are attractive enough that people holding that money want to buy them, which is why bond interest rates are going up. If people don't want to buy your bonds, you have to offer a higher interest rate to entice them. Considering the trillions of dollars involved, that higher interest can creep up by tenths of a percent at a time, as every tenth of a percent would entice some small percentage to buy, but a small percentage of trillions is still a very large number.

Frankly, I'd be happy to see bond yields increase. I use a bond fund as a rainy day fund because bank accounts offer so very little. Bond funds don't offer all that much, either, especially if the bonds are primarily ultra-safe US treasury products, but every little increase in yield helps.

When it comes to rain, can it possibly wash away the coronavirus in the streets?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Its raining here today. hard too. Will we be clean and released from quarantine? Nope

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Its raining here today. hard too. Will we be clean and released from quarantine? Nope
    I wish it would rain here so the folks will stay inside their homes, they are actually outside even while we are supposed to be in home quarantine, I don't know who is supposed to enforce the home quarantine thingy here, it makes me sad that so many are not following the order.
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

I am pretty certain that I will get fat staying home, eating all the food and snacks that I have purchased.

What food and snacks? - my supermarkets' shelves are empty
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Shelves are getting filled fast, over here. They're just emptying even faster. Have to shop in the morning to get stuff.

PowerPoster

I am pretty certain that I will get fat staying home, eating all the food and snacks that I have purchased.
    It's been known to happen,

Name:  Day1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  30.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    I wish it would rain here so the folks will stay inside their homes, they are actually outside even while we are supposed to be in home quarantine, I don't know who is supposed to enforce the home quarantine thingy here, it makes me sad that so many are not following the order.
    the news had show this weekend how many people were out at the beach, hiking and doing various other social activities. The complete opposite of distancing

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

My hiking is pretty much distancing, but there's too much snow in the mountains. When I'm hiking I maintain the required 6 miles of separation from everybody. I expect to exceed that on a hike this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    It's been known to happen,

Name:  Day1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  30.7 KB
    Where did you get those photos of me!?

I am glad to have a government job and be considered essential. Seeing a lot of people laid off from their jobs right now, couldn't imagine. Hopefully these people were smart enough to have a safety net.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

the news had show this weekend how many people were out at the beach, hiking and doing various other social activities. The complete opposite of distancing
    Yeah, we've got the same breed of idiots over here. By all accounts Snowdon had it's busiest day in years
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I am glad to have a government job and be considered essential. Seeing a lot of people laid off from their jobs right now, couldn't imagine. Hopefully these people were smart enough to have a safety net.
    It's shrinking day by day.

I feel the same way, there are a lot of people here who are only surviving by the day and they are the ones mostly affected by these "lockdown" in our area right now.
    Regards,

Another day of employment. The court system needs to stay open and actually get back to full operations or we will shut down permanently

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I've been thinking about this, and have to ask: What does the court system have to do with this? I haven't heard them being particularly in trouble, nor particularly involved.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and have to ask: What does the court system have to do with this? I haven't heard them being particularly in trouble, nor particularly involved.
    I'd say just another social distancing precaution. You ever been in a jury pool or traffic court?

Page 1609 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 60911091509155915991606160716081609161016111612161916591709 ... LastLast