Page 1610 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 61011101510156016001607160816091610161116121613162016601710 ... LastLast
Results 64,361 to 64,400 of 68908

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

I tried to be in a jury pool, but the lifeguard kicked me out for peeing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and have to ask: What does the court system have to do with this? I haven't heard them being particularly in trouble, nor particularly involved.
    Its social distancing. My program files workers comp cases, liens, petitions etc, with the state electronically. If no one is there processing cases then all work becomes "expired" like proof of services which can derail a case. If our employees cant process cases then we could go out of business
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Wow. You're potentially collateral damage.

One thing we are learning is how very broad the web of connections are within society.

PowerPoster

Wow. You're potentially collateral damage.

One thing we are learning is how very broad the web of connections are within society.
    Think it would be hard to define direct and collateral damage. As you said, a very broad web of connections. The number of different businesses/services that are affect when restaurants/bars/Theaters close could probably be used as a Doctorial Thesis.

Direct is where you end up in the hospital on a ventilator. Collateral is all the rest.

As for the dissertation, it's probably already been written...many times over. It can likely be written many many more times before any final word is written.

Sinecure devotee

My daughter does computer graphic design work using Apple computers for a small Furniture/Appliance chain ( a large store in the surrounding area) and last week everyone in the department took their work computers home so they could work remotely for social distancing, and then got the notice late last week that they are a non-essential business, so is furloughed this week for an undetermined period of time as the store has been closed because of the executive order.

Her husband does GIS work for the county and I'm assuming his work may also be reduced because in the past they reduce his hours when the county tax revenue doesn't meet expectations. A lot of the county tax revenue depends on the performance of retail in the area, so with so many businesses taking a hit in revenue, it will affect the county's revenue as well.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

The ripple effects of this are going to be echoing through the economy for months if not years, even once the virus gets controlled. A whole lot of businesses will not be surviving, which is going to have a complicated result (both good and bad will result). A whole lot of people are going to go through a financial contraction, which will have an almost entirely negative result.

I'm contemplating retirement. This virus doesn't impact my immediate finances, but it certainly introduces some strong uncertainty into my contemplation.

Still, I always look on the weird side of things, and so:

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    a small Furniture/Appliance chain
    I know what small appliances are (blenders, electric toothbrush, shavers, etc.), but what is small furniture? Perhaps side tables, or maybe footstools. If it's the latter, the store could be called the Ottoman Empire. Unfortunately, it might be doing about as well, at this point.

We're in the odd situation where those who are not hurt financially are still acting like we are hurt financially because we can't spend money even if we wanted to with all the businesses shuttered. I'd be out buying stuff for my garden next week, and the business I'd be going to could likely use the revenue...except that I don't know if they'll even be open.

The recession in 2007 was a cash flow problem on one end. This is a cash flow problem on both ends: You either have a reduction in money coming in, and if you don't have that, you have a reduction in spending. It's all so very strange.

I want a couple donuts
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Alright all you Californians, I FINALLY felt an earthquake.

Yesterday evening, a magnitude 6.5 hit a ways north of me. I felt the house shaking, including the floor. At the time, the wind was picking up, and I briefly considered whether it could be wind, but I've been in the house for decades, and seen FAR stronger wind than that. The house doesn't shake at all. The floor REALLY doesn't shake, considering it's a solid slab of concrete with a layer of hardwood on top of it. So...earthquake, plus a few aftershocks.

I've been in a few other quakes, I just happened to be asleep, at the time. In one case, I dreamed that my mother was shaking my bed. Once I got up the next morning, my mother asked if I had felt the quake. I guess I probably had. My bed was a massive, wooden structure lying flat on the floor (not up on legs). I tried shaking it, and realized I couldn't move it at all. So, the dream was probably my response to the quake.

This one was much more clear.

My office building shook briefly also from that quake.

We were closer, I'd say.

Having looked at the epicenter, I realize I was camping there this last summer. It would have been pretty awesome to have been right on top of it when it went.

I could'nt help but post that

Name:  programmer.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  44.0 KB
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

It would have been pretty awesome to have been right on top of it when it went.

Depends, if the ground opens just under your tent
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

True, but it wasn't that kind of a quake. Had it been right under the tent, it sounds like it would have spun me around.

Alright all you Californians, I FINALLY felt an earthquake.

Yesterday evening, a magnitude 6.5 hit a ways north of me. I felt the house shaking, including the floor. At the time, the wind was picking up, and I briefly considered whether it could be wind, but I've been in the house for decades, and seen FAR stronger wind than that. The house doesn't shake at all. The floor REALLY doesn't shake, considering it's a solid slab of concrete with a layer of hardwood on top of it. So...earthquake, plus a few aftershocks.

I've been in a few other quakes, I just happened to be asleep, at the time. In one case, I dreamed that my mother was shaking my bed. Once I got up the next morning, my mother asked if I had felt the quake. I guess I probably had. My bed was a massive, wooden structure lying flat on the floor (not up on legs). I tried shaking it, and realized I couldn't move it at all. So, the dream was probably my response to the quake.

This one was much more clear.
    Depends on how far from the epicenter you were. How far?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

True, but it wasn't that kind of a quake. Had it been right under the tent, it sounds like it would have spun me around.
    he he !! as a programmer you still have an alternative to feel the same

Name:  5e23502b-f391-474b-bb5c-049f780a48ce_screenshot.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  12.1 KB

/giphy should be available here.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Depends on how far from the epicenter you were. How far?
    Seventy to eighty miles.

Sinecure devotee

Location, i.e. the geology also makes a difference.
    On the east cost, for a given magnitude, earthquakes are felt much further away, and any damage is much more widespread.
    A relatively less than major earthquake for the west coast, like the magnitude 5.8 earthquake near Richmond, Virginia, we felt quite clearly with a swaying building at work (and we're talking large squat buildings of only two or three floors, not towers) in Upstate New York a little over 300 miles away. And of coarse it was felt even further north, in some of the lower provinces in Canada, where they actually abandoned some buildings to inspect for damage (none found) because of it.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

The Post Race has dropped off my first page of CC. That just isn't right.

Everyone seems to be social distancing virtually......

Name:  Dooby-Group-01.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  46.3 KB

Always be careful when a chicken has a gun

Depends...did they cock it? Is there a trigger? Can they pullet?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I have no idea where that picture came from but I find it disturbing
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The chicken on the right looks familiar. Seems like a mascot from somewhere. Don't recognize any of the other characters.

I found them !
    it is the Dooby Duck's Disco Bus

Which one's Dooby then, wise guy?

I believe it was Frank Sinatra who once asked "What does Dooby Do?"
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by Bonker Gudd View Post
    Which one's Dooby then, wise guy?
    the duck in the middle with a bow knot

Only his right wing. His left wing's a Bernie supporter.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Apr 28th, 2020 at 08:36 AM.

So, those are the Doobie Brothers?

Not at all how I pictured them.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Wonder how that’ll render on non mobile devices.

Looks like some kind of bizarre emoji formed from characters that are not quite ASCII.

Is it a fat penguin in a Japanese garden?

Table Flip!

I've been playing loads of TableTop Simulator during lockdown. It's actually got a Flip Table button. It's my favourite feature. (BTW, if any forum members fancy getting together for a virtual board gaming sess, just give me shout)

@DD, don't think we've seen you in ages (or am I just hanging out in different parts of the forum to you). Good to see you again.

anybody managed to actually lose weight during quarantine?

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyBedflower View Post
    anybody managed to actually lose weight during quarantine?

Name:  mdr.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  8.8 KB

Have taken 5 pounds...
    Last edited by Delaney; Apr 30th, 2020 at 07:42 AM. Reason: typo

Page 1610 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 61011101510156016001607160816091610161116121613162016601710 ... LastLast