Page 1628 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 6281128152815781618162516261627162816291630163116381678 ... LastLast
Results 65,081 to 65,120 of 68853

Thread: Post Race!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Post Race!

Your crawfish only live for one year
    Less than that if DD gets his hands on 'em.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm not sure I was right, anyways. They might have a two year life cycle in the south.

There's a very strange restaurant up here that seems to be open for a couple days out of the year to serve one specific meal: Crayfish. The thing is, I think I know where they get those crayfish, which would be a reach of the Snake River which is downstream of a whole lot of agricultural areas. I'm not sure I'd be willing to eat crayfish (or anything else) taken from that stretch of that river, and I'm not sure that any other river in this state can grow large crayfish.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I moved to a little town in Lafourche Parish where most of our crawfish are from the spillways, but where I used to live we had pond crawfish.

There is this beautiful cycle where south-central Louisiana grows rice four 3/4 out of the year, but that one quarter they raise crawfish. It is beneficial because somehow the crawfish replenish the nutrients that help the rice grow but at the same time the crawfish get huge.

So if you drive along I-10, starting around Lacassine up until around Pont Breaux you'll see where the rice is grown and the crawfish are raised. This stretches as far north as Eunice and as far south as Abbeville.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I secured that contract job for the offshore company.

I should make a good chunk of money and hopefully establish myself as a go-to guy for programming work on the bayou.

good news !
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Are those burrowing crayfish? You have some vigorous excavators down there, which should be able to turn over the sediments pretty thoroughly. That should bring soils from deeper down up to the surface, while burying some organics, which will eventually replenish the whole soil column.

Those are kind of weird animals. Up here, our crayfish all seem to be migratory. They will excavate just a little. Just enough to get under a rock or log, but during the summer, they tend not to stay in the same place for more than a day or so, before moving to a new hidey hole.

They're also maddeningly hard to track up here. I did a mark and recapture study on them many years back, and found virtually none of my marked animals a week after marking them. Normally, that would suggest that the population is enormous, but when it comes to crayfish, it turns out that it doesn't mean a thing. A few years after I tried that, another group put tiny radio transmitters on some crayfish and tracked them. As it turns out, if you disturb these migratory species, they flee the area. For about a week after handling, they travel great distances each day, but then they settle down and stop moving around as much. So, when I marked the animals, they immediately fled the study area, which is why I found so very few of my marked animals a week later. Of course, that makes most behavioral studies on crayfish impossible, since their response to disturbance is to flee for a week. The investigator alters the study animals, so seeing normal behavior is exceedingly difficult.

"Holy Heisenberg" Batman!

Now we got Schrodinger's Crayfish!

That's for certain! Or not?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

They sure act that way. It's just like a crayfish to be clawing there way back into things, though.

By the way, you should have some fascinating crayfish around you. With that brook in your back yard, have you ever found a crayfish out wandering your lawn on a rainy day? I've heard of cross-land migration in your part of the country, and you have the place for it.

I've encountered crayfish out and about on two hikes. One was the AT in Virginia. That time, I was on the crest of a ridge in hurricane Hugo, so I couldn't see very far in the blowing clouds and rain. I knew I was on a ridge, but that was all. I have no idea where that crayfish came from, or why, but it was in the middle of the trail waving its claws at me. The second one was on a trail in the Ozarks of Arkansas. I was a good hundred meters from the river, but parallel to it, and there was a crayfish crossing the trail and heading up the hillside away from the river. Very strange.

Sinecure devotee

Where's my Quantum Crayfish T-shirt?
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

We get crawfish in our backyard all the time. They build up the crawfish mounds that is basically little bits of mud rolled up into little hills:
    Attachment 180377

Edit - I hate attaching images after "fixes" to the forums. Here is a direct link to the image: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5e/5c...d3da8a7b99.jpg

When I was a kid we used to take fishing lines with a hook and wind them down the mound. I remember one time my Nonc James pulled one up.

@shaggy - one post-hurricane huge flood event, the good lord decided I needed someones old metal boat. It took a good beating getting as far as it did - I think the most likely spot it came from has to be over 1500 feet upstream! At any rate, back in those days, with my then younger twin boys we would float out over the water in that boat and much to our surprise we saw many little white "early stage" crayfish - maybe inch long if I'm recalling.

Does that even make sense?

I've noticed the mallard ducks wade around in the shallowest parts turning their heads sideways at eyeball something that they must really be enjoying.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The US has the vast majority of species of crayfish in the world, about 360 out of 500. Of those, the west has a few (Idaho has something like 2 native species), while the east has the rest. Therefore, I wouldn't begin to generalize about crayfish. The castle builders that DDay is talking about are both cool....and a total nuisance if you have dikes that you don't want holes in. I've seen white crayfish, red crayfish, blue crayfish...and I'm now thinking of a Dr. Seuss rhyme, but really, I couldn't say what is or is not possible.

One thing, though, is that out here, crayfish about an inch long are pretty young. They start out as pretty nearly transparent flecks that are hard to see in the best of circumstances. They're perhaps an eighth of an inch long, or less, so really small. I rarely see them until they get up near that one inch size, which I suspect means that they spend time before that largely hiding. For that reason, I've never been certain whether the inch long crayfish I see out here are one year old, or two.

They're food for darn near everything, not just DDay, and the eat almost as much. When we'd go swimming in the brook, if you spent too long standing in one place, they'd pinch a toe. We'd also fish for them with worms. You could put a worm on a hook and let it land beside a likely looking rock. Quite often, a crayfish would grab the worm and wouldn't let go even after you had pulled them out of the water.

When I was growing up, I had some crayfish in a tank. They'd get out by climbing, claw over claw, up the air hose, so whenever I went into my room, I'd look to see if the crayfish were there. If they were not, I'd listen carefully, and could generally hear them wandering around on the wood floor. My mother also found one coming through the downstairs bathroom with both cats following at a respectful distance. They were curious, but were not at all sure what they were following.

I have 9,999 posts. I don't want to post anything to mess it up.

I got over that pretty quickly.

If only chit-chat posts counted I'd have at least 4,638 more just from the post race

And with all that, nobody has yet knocked off the king.

It just goes to show how incredibly prolific some of the early Post Racers were.

I'm not sure I'm proud to be in the top 20 - I'll never get that time back again, lol!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Back around when I signed up, there were 12 members per page in the members list. I looked at that list and figured I'd never be on that first page (top 12), and those people had to be a bit crazy.

At least I was right on one of those assumptions.

Mah podna boiled some crawfish tonight: https://ibb.co/drbkFgB

Chooo boy it has been a fun night. I got saouled, me.

I don't understand you....so I guess I understand you.

he just got drunk
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Mah podna boiled some crawfish tonight: https://ibb.co/drbkFgB
    Big MIAM !

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    he just got drunk
    So...I understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    So...I understood.
    On the contrary, you stood quite enough.

Ooof, today was rough.

Ya. I didn't under stand, or over stand, I stood just right.

Well, I remember the photos of you with a beard... and you could pass for three bears.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

The beard is still there, it's just getting white.

I can't grow facial hair . Well, at least not very much facial hair.

Mine's both patchy and greying, it's not a good look. I like the idea of having a beard but the reality is I look like a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Mine's both patchy and greying, it's not a good look. I like the idea of having a beard but the reality is I look like a tramp.
    I resemble that remark....so...what's your point?

I'm growing ear beards.

Got that going on, too.

This thread is still going? Wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Spetnik View Post
    This thread is still going? Wow...
    This thread has had at least one post every month since September of 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    This thread has had at least one post every month since September of 2000.
    you are too humble dday9, this thread has an average of almost 9 posts/ day for the last 20 years and half

Page 1628 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 6281128152815781618162516261627162816291630163116381678 ... LastLast