Page 1722 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 72212221622167217121719172017211722
Results 68,841 to 68,853 of 68853

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

That's actually how I feel. It mostly doesn't work. Technically, the radio does work, but half the device is the CD changer, and that part doesn't work...and the radio would only really work if a person wanted to fix whatever is wrong with the FM antenna connection. That would probably be easy enough, with a bit of surgery. There's either a connection that is going bad, or somehow the connector itself is wearing out (which makes little sense, as it's not a moving part). Still, nobody can really use it without doing some work, which some people might want to do, though parts for the CD changer are no longer officially available.

Craig's list is an option, but I'd essentially be giving away a largely non-functional stereo. Seems a stretch. I gave away a woodstove, and it was gone in 10 minutes, but a woodstove is basically just a metal box. In this case, it was a metal box that was dangerous to have a fire in, but it was fully functional as a metal box. It was even a very ornate metal box, as it was a very good looking stove, with lots of fancy trim and so forth. The reason it was dangerous wasn't because it was in any way broken, either. It was still as it was originally manufactured, it just wasn't manufactured in a good way. You could see the fire through manufactured holes in the thing. I never dared leave the stove alone while there was any visible flame, as I once was sitting at the computer and saw an escaped spark drifting up through the air in the room. I wasn't willing to take any money for that stove, but if somebody had the right use for it, I was willing to give it away. The stereo is different, as it is no longer truly functional.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Ehh, there might be some gold or other precious metals in it that someone will take the time to scrap.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Yeah, scrapping computer electronics can return a variety of rare metals. I'm not sure whether the same is true for an early-90s era stereo. It wasn't back in the vacuum tube era, but it wasn't so far away from that, either.

PowerPoster

I'd be surprised if you had a hard time giving the stereo away. I've never used Craigs list, does it cost you to post free stuff???

Nope. Doesn't cost anything to post non-free stuff, either, at least for a small number of items. However, I'm a bit hesitant to post what may well be considered junk, at this point. I'd have to think about that.

Is a stereo that has working AM, working dual cassette decks (does anybody use those???), semi-functional FM, and non-functional CD changer, junk or not?

PowerPoster

Why does it matter if it's junk? Lots of junk dealers. lol

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Nope. Doesn't cost anything to post non-free stuff, either, at least for a small number of items. However, I'm a bit hesitant to post what may well be considered junk, at this point. I'd have to think about that.

Is a stereo that has working AM, working dual cassette decks (does anybody use those???), semi-functional FM, and non-functional CD changer, junk or not?
    If the make and model are of enough interest, the working tape mechanisms are likely to have value. There are cassette fans out there today and even new releases are coming out on cassette.

One of the plagues for cassette fans is the poor quality of the cassette mechs in products made today. They all seem to be clone variants of one of the cheapest mechs ever made for low-end products in the late 90s.

The rest of the carcass might still have useful parts, but don't attempt to part it out. Dump the entire thing on an interested party.

Well, it wouldn't hurt to put it out there and see whether or not there is any interest.

Frenzied Member

I came across a single of this song at work (placing old singles into a database for resale):

This is sooo 80's! And while I don't remember this particular song it does bring back memories. :-) Also, you have to love those futuristic motorcycles with the whole futuristic backdrop.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker
    You can quote someone for something they didn't say? Wow, I had no clue.
    Surprised this works
    Last edited by OrangeBlaze; Yesterday at 12:43 PM. Reason: misspelled "suprise"

Yeah, I'm a bit surprised at that, too, but technically, it's just text with a couple tags...which are also text. Nothing special to a quote. It takes slightly more work to get the user name in there, but if you don't care about that then:

Anything wrapped in [QUOTE][/QUOTE] tags is a quote.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Nuttin to it, dingleberry. So what if I have a thing for potato chips with jelly? All your base are belong to us!
    Always seemed a trivial matter to me.

Look at my bold italics.

Page 1722 of 1722 FirstFirst ... 72212221622167217121719172017211722