Page 1633 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6331133153315831623163016311632163316341635163616431683 ... LastLast
Results 65,281 to 65,320 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Canyon flash floods are freaky. The water level can go from a trickle to tens of feet of raging torrent in seconds.
    Canyon flash floods are extremely freaky. A storm can be a half mile away, but the canyons can route the water to other areas. When I worked in the mountains out west (US) I actually saw flood waters come out of a canyon that happened so fast that had a few people been 5 seconds faster, they would have been hit with a river that simply appeared out of a side canyon. They were walking and the river simply poured out in front of us.

Another rain storm (which was to the northwest of us, caused another flood to come down the main canyon we were in. There were campers cooking that literally didn't have time to grab their stuff before the water sweep the fire from under their pots. They heard a roar, looked up to see a literal wall of water coming and ran to get out of its path. Canyon floods are scary stuff.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    It's been chilly here too, down to like the 60s. Usually May (especially late May) we're seeing highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper 70s.

I would have thought that this colder weather would have helped with hurricane season, something I've always heard was longer/colder winters bring less hurricanes, but NOAA just predicted another busy hurricane season.
    It has to do with the rains down in Africa....I think there's a song about that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I certainly do not miss those rains.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

And your little dog too.....

(I'm reaching, but it does connect to the rains in Africa. )

There's no place like home.

Saw a short snippet on Louisiana in the news. Seems like it if you aren't a fish, it might be time to move to higher ground.

Yeah, it's been very bad over here. They just allocated $60mil for home buyouts in some neighborhoods in Lake Charles.

Scratch that, it was $30mil. One neighborhood has flooded 3 times in the past 4 years, so the state wants to buy up the property to prevent people from building/living there.

It is a side effect of flood insurance being regulated by FEMA. When homeowners aren't required to pay a premium that reflects their actual risk, there is not an incentive for the homeowner to make any changes.

PowerPoster

I have to scratch my head when people want to keep rebuilding in the same place after repeated floods or hurricanes. The first time, shame on the weather, the 3rd time shame on me.

Would you blame them when they pay $1200 a year for flood insurance and get $250k for a claim?

PowerPoster

Would you blame them when they pay $1200 a year for flood insurance and get $250k for a claim?
    Not sure what your saying. Are you saying they make a profit? So they rebuild in hopes of another disaster?

I’m saying that there’s a moral hazard that isn’t being accounted for.

PowerPoster

I’m saying that there’s a moral hazard that isn’t being accounted for.
    Well, I still don't understand what your saying. You seem to be hinting that they make a profit, sure wouldn't where I live, $250K doesn't buy much plus there is the whole losing everything you own. But if you don't want to be clear then we'll just let it go.

Horse.

I'm not being deliberately vague or anything. Moral hazard is an insurance terminology, here is a copy/paste:
    Moral Hazard is the concept that individuals have incentives to alter their behaviour when their risk or bad-decision making is borne by others.
    If premiums accurately reflected the risk, homeowners would be incentivized to mitigate that risk. For example, the neighborhood that has flooded 3 times in the past 4 years compromises of homes slabs instead of on crawlspace/piers. This neighborhood is 7 feet above sea level and is 25 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonker Gudd View Post
    Horse.
    Wrong. The answer was Venus.

PowerPoster

I'm surprised by this, insurance companies aren't in the habit of paying any more than necessary. But you said FEMA has something to do with this so that probably complicates the issue. Still, even if there would be some extra money after repair/replace the structure and replace all the damaged personal items, it's not something I would want to do once, much less multiple times. Sounds like a sucky way to live.

Flood insurance, at least in Louisiana, is 100% underwritten by FEMA.

Flood insurance EVERYWHERE in the US is not like any other insurance. My understanding is that insurance companies were not willing to touch that risk, so all flood insurance is effectively federal. This keeps premiums down to where people can afford them, even when they build in terribly flood prone areas. Therefore, you can keep on rebuilding every time a flood hits. If you are thinking of the 50 year flood, and if it was actually roughly once every 50 years, then you can build in a pretty bad spot and likely be gone before the flood comes along. However, climate change is meaning that some places are seeing 50 year floods a few times a decade, or even more often.

As long as you can rebuild, the only cost is the loss of all that was damaged. That's probably going to push people out if they get flooded a few times in a decade, but not if they get flooded every other decade. Meanwhile, the cost is entirely passed to the US taxpayers.

Pricing flood insurance properly would probably cause Florida to depopulate.

my new toy at work
    Name:  boitier-d-acquisition-labjack-u3-lv.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  27.3 KB
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

It looks fancy. What is it?

Does it vibrate?

It looks like it blinks. Does it blink? If it doesn't blink, then what's the point?

It's a USB DAQ device with 4 dedicated high-voltage analogue inputs, 12 flexible I/O, and 4 dedicated digital I/O. The flexible I/O can be configured as either digital or analogue, thus providing up to 16 analogue inputs, or up to 16 digital I/O. It also has two 10-bit analogue outputs, up to 2 counters, and up to 2 timers.

Nice!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Yes it blinks when you connect it at the computer and stop blinking when the link is made

it is an interface to manage sensors, motors, actuators, etc.

At the difference of the arduino, it comes with library dedicated to several languages : VB.net, C#, C++, matlab, labview, VBA, etc...
    and can piloted without embedded program. I am a fan of the arduino but I have to write the program in C++ and flash it in it and write the interface/pilot program in VB. With that, I'll need just one program in VB.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    Yes it blinks when you connect it at the computer and stop blinking when the link is made
    Oh...well then, that is reasonable. Blinking after that would just be gauche.

We're up in NOLA today. My wife found out that her nanny has stage 3 ovarian cancer that has metastasized to bladder and liver, so they're just making her comfortable at this point.

It's a little rough because she lost her parrain a few years back and now she's going to lose her nanny. It's not very often that the godchild will bury both of their godparents.

Those are relationships I'm not familiar with. Why is it not common? Shouldn't the younger generation be burying the older generation?

I'm biking back roads from roughly Boise to Anacortes WA. Stopped to rest in the shade of some trees at a school, and found that they had open wifi. This town has nothing in it but the school, a few houses....and an open wifi connection. On the other hand, the ride today was brutal, thus far, and I'd still like to get another 15 miles, though it is gaining 2000 feet, and the temperature isn't so cool. I'm crossing the desert, at the moment. I get up into forests tomorrow, I hope, and might reach 7000 feet on Wednesday, which is good, because record high temperatures are forecast. The lack of water and lack of shade makes the desert particularly tough going. I think I'll proceed another mile, or so, cook supper, then continue on in the somewhat cool of the evening.

It’s more so to do with their age. Her parrain was 45 and her nanny is 51. You expect to eventually bury your elders, but in 2021, 45 and 51 and not considered “elder” in the US.

What makes this increasingly difficult is that, if it were not for COVID, would the cancer have been caught before stage 3? Or at least before it metastasized? I don’t know, nor will I ever know.

What makes this increasingly difficult is that, if it were not for COVID, would the cancer have been caught before stage 3? Or at least before it metastasized? I don’t know, nor will I ever know.
    Yep, In France, we had a lot of people who died because of the COVID but not of the COVID: Their case was not considered as urgent or the medical service were closed because the people were reassigned to the covid treatment, etc... My doctor told me that the gastroenterology field was the most impacted because some of the drugs they used is also used to treat the COVID and every stock was reoriented toward covid patient to the detriment of other people...

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm biking back roads from roughly Boise to Anacortes WA.
    for work or for fun? almost 600 miles!!! do you know there are several flights between both

Well, it's turning out to be educational. I'm learning about a lot of roads that exist more on paper (and satellite imagery) than on the ground. Record heat in the desert is a fun thing for biking, especially when the roads are rocky, rutted, goat paths, and there are cows standing in every bit of water doing unmentionable things and laughing at you as you bike past.

Probably not, unfortunately. Some types of cancers are obvious, some are routinely screened for, but others....you tend to find out at a later stage. You also don't get screened for all that much at such a young age. I knew a gal who died of breast cancer in her early 20s. At that age, the incidence is so low that screening doesn't happen.

Broke my seat post, had to get a ride to a bike shop to get it replaced. Mighty hard to ride a bike without a seat, especially a heavily laden one. Back on track, today, and it's feeling pretty good.

without a seat, you have now a trial bike

Name:  bicicleta-breeth-carbono-pro-ti-20.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  37.2 KB

That certainly would be a trial.

That looks so painful. I feel my quads on fire just looking at it.

beside programming, I am also doing miniatures.

I found that on an other forum :

IBM 704, 1954. Scratchbuild 1:16 scale model

Name:  IBM 704 Diorama.  Scratchbuild 116 scale model.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  21.4 KB

By the way, the first computer I ever touch (to program some very basic ascii characters game ) was that (was my father's one)
    Name:  sanyo_phc_25.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  40.3 KB

then my first own computer was that and I still have it :

Name:  Sanyo_PHC-28S -MSX.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  36.3 KB

Page 1633 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6331133153315831623163016311632163316341635163616431683 ... LastLast