Page 1627 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6271127152715771617162416251626162716281629163016371677 ... LastLast
Results 65,041 to 65,080 of 68908

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

I used to be very active on Facebook, but around 2015 I decided to stop using it as much.

Now I will get on maybe once every other week (if that).
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I honestly don't know what the Australia debate is really about. I haven't been paying attention.

I pretty much never use Facebook, although I do have an account. I honestly don't get what people see in it. I can see the value in staying in touch with old friends but that's about it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

@funky lately I've found value in FB groups for things that interest me. I have a Camaro - so I'm in a Camaro group. We post pics of our cars, pick on Mustangs - really mature stuff!

I live in CT, not far from the very old Italian immigrant neighborhood of Wooster Street in New Haven. Home to world famous pizza places like Pepe's, Modern and Sally's. We have a huge group of Italian cooks that are in some way related to this area or just liking on Italian American food, we post recipes and techniques constantly.

I like taking nature pics - live on a large brook with water-company green space for a backyard. FB has a group for that - CT Nature Lovers.

Otherwise its a great place to argue politics with your relatives, lol!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Yeah, I'm on FB daily, I do a little messaging. Don't post much because I lead a boring life. lol

It use to be great, lots of post from friends and family about what was going on but most of that has faded. Probably they moved on to other things. So much political hate crap people are posting, I've had to unfollow several people. I'm amazed at the importance that people place on FB and what they do. But I'm not a big social media type. Probably because I don't use a cell phone. I carry one for when I go places for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    - live on a large brook with water-company green space for a backyard. FB has a group for that - CT Nature Lovers.
    That's how I grew up. We had the only buildable spot in a valley that was all flood plain easement controlled by the Army Corp of Engineers. It was the overflow for a distant flood control dam. If the dam closed, it would back the reservoir up the river the dam was on, then up a tiny outlet from a lake, fill the lake, then overflow into the valley I lived in. That happened once....and I was off at grad school, so I missed it. Doggone it.

The house was about one inch away from being an island.

It was an awesome place to grow up, though. There were a few square miles of land that couldn't be developed, which had every type of habitat that can be found in New Hampshire aside from seashore and alpine.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I've always wanted to put a Davinci bridge across this brook. Moved here from NYC in 72. Was a shock to say the least!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

The brook I lived on was larger. I could canoe up it for a couple miles, and down it until it merged with a larger river. Had to jump a whole lot of beaver dams in either direction, though. Well, jump them when going downstream, haul over them when going upstream. In the entire run of that brook, from where you could nearly step across it down to the mouth, there were only three places that were a little rocky. Two were short, one being possibly man-made, where an ancient...well, I think it was probably a road, at one time, crossed it. The third was longer. There was a dam in the middle of that longer stretch with an old, and still operable, water mill. I worked for the guy who owned the mill, one summer. We spent a day planing lumber using an old low-velocity wood plane driven by a flat belt off a horizontal turbine. Pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I've always wanted to put a Davinci bridge across this brook. Moved here from NYC in 72. Was a shock to say the least!
    Is that a picture of where you live ? Just speechless!
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    Is that a picture of where you live ? Just speechless!
    Yes - my back yard - thanks! About an hour out of NYC, if you can believe that! My father purchased this house 50 years ago, and I am keeping it in the family!

About a mile upstream is a dam for a public water supply reservoir. I own about 70 feet on the other side, and then there is a right-of-way that belongs to the water company. Buried along that right-of-way is a huge water pipe - must be 2 feet in diameter, that moves water from one reservoir to another.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I've been able to trace my genealogy back to France and it is pretty cool. From youngest (paternal grandmother) to oldest
    • Rader's from Jeanerette, LA
    • Hebert's from Jeanerette, LA
    • Lebouef's from somewhere in Lafourche/Terrebonne parish
    • Dubier's from Edgar, LA
    • Dubier's from somewhere in Nova Scotia, Canada
    • Chaumont's/Pire's from La Crete in Haute-Marne, France and the Chaumont's/Huz's from Les Ayvelles, France

It appears as if my Dubier grandfather great(x4) grandfather was killed during the force migration from Canada but his wife (and only son) survived but immigrated to Louisiana.
    Last edited by dday9; Feb 22nd, 2021 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    [*] Dubier's from somewhere in Nova Scotia, Canada
    Uh-oh, we might be distantly related. That name isn't familiar, but my maternal grandmother's family is from up in that area. They were descended from Hessian mercenaries left behind by the British after the American Revolution. Considering the size of the populations up there, the family tree starts to resemble a ladder back then.

Still, my ancestors were generally from Prince Edward Island, so quite possibly there is no link.

I was mistaken, it was actually Quebec.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I've been able to trace my genealogy back to France and it is pretty cool. From youngest (paternal grandmother) to oldest
    Interesting north and eastern France, when things are back to normal you should try and go visit, France is a wonderful country great place for a holiday.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I have always had a bid of French pride because I knew that my family immigrated from France, either directly or indirectly, and having this bit of information just sort of solidifies it.

I would love to visit France one day.

It looks like on one side I have a 5th great-grandfather who immigrated straight from St Malo, Nievre, Bourgogne, France to Abbeville, LA.

So I have some family that took a route from Canada and others who came straight from France.

my family immigrated from France
    My inner pedant is screaming at me to point out that they emigrated from France and immigrated to Canada. I'm really ashamed of my inner pedant because pointing that out adds no value to an otherwise interesting story.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm starting to understand the phrase "back in the day" much better!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

It looks like on one side I have a 5th great-grandfather who immigrated straight from St Malo, Nievre, Bourgogne, France to Abbeville, LA.
    Saint Malo is a port in brittany but in the Nièvre dpt, there is Saint-Malo-en-Donziois (127 inhabitants...) : https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Malo-en-Donziois
    Last edited by Delaney; Feb 24th, 2021 at 06:01 AM.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

I always thought St. Malo was more of a marsh, but I only had a squishy, sugary feeling about it.

it is a fortified city :

Saint-malo

I'm sure centuries of war with England had something to do with that?

-stares at FunkyDexter-

-shifts stare to Delaney-

fight. fight. Fight. FIGHT, FIGHT FIGHT!

Well, at least the marsh of Malo is still squishy.

ok I just understood the pun you have done before about Malo. that's a good one Please forgive the poor English language speaker I am, I need time to understand the puns you make.

Shaggy after an all night bender!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Actually, it's more like me after a year of COVID.

I've lost weight since COVID started. I was at 198, which was too much. Now I'm at 170, which is "normal" on the BMI chart.

My ideal weight is 160, so I don't have too far to go, but I seemed to have plateaued at 170 for the past 2 months.

I gained a bit, then lost it, so I'm at the same weight I was at before the pandemic. On the other hand, I've been staying away from the gym, which can mean that staying the same weight isn't necessarily meaningful. Other times when I have been out of the gym for a length of time, as soon as I go back, I jump five pounds, or more, in the first couple days.

True dat!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I am working on an estimate for a client right now and that comic hits pretty hard.

That's the way it ALWAYS works, for me. I accept the blame, too. It just keeps things going smoothly.

I may be getting a job building a maintenance ticketing system for an offshore company.

The job is fairly straightforward, but this will be the first offshore company I do solo work for. So it is pretty exciting.

-stares at FunkyDexter-

-shifts stare to Delaney-

fight. fight. Fight. FIGHT, FIGHT FIGHT!
    He's French and I'm British. We'll need 100 years for that.

yes with pauses for breakfast, lunch and diner (because food is important) + tea time for my english friend + a maxi pause in august and unlimited pause during the french strikes

Lent is here, but because of our unusually long and cold winter the crawfish aren't all that big.

I guess it'll be beans for me.

Ooh, I recently discovered Red Beans and Rice. You Weezy Annas really know what to do with a bean.

This is probably heresy but it goes great with Jumbalaya... you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    This is probably heresy but it goes great with Jumbalaya... you're welcome.
    I put just about everything in a jambalaya. I cooked one yesterday and it had chicken gizzards, ground meat, and sausage. Then I mixed in my green beans in my own bowl (my wife doesn't like it when I do it to the whole pot).

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    He's French and I'm British. We'll need 100 years for that.
    You'd need MORE than 100 years, you'd just say it was 100.

Lent is here, but because of our unusually long and cold winter the crawfish aren't all that big.

I guess it'll be beans for me.
    See, that's one of the things about the south: Your crawfish only live for one year (or two, they can manage that). Up here, a one year old is less than an inch long, and I'm not entirely sure that those are just one. They may be two. They can live for perhaps eight, or so, and STILL don't get as big as the ones you get.

Page 1627 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6271127152715771617162416251626162716281629163016371677 ... LastLast