Page 1615 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 61511151515156516051612161316141615161616171618162516651715 ... LastLast
Results 64,561 to 64,600 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Winter drawers on.
    On the bright side, I've still got pessimism and despair to fall back on.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'll stick with this wossy account for now
    To be fair, did anyone ever actually call you "Wossname"? You are and always were "Wossy". So it sounds like the right way to go I reckon.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

It's just a shame that I can no longer cash in those reps and that post count for Esso tokens. That was my retirement plan once upon a time.
    By my reckoning, in 2005 money I could have bought a nifty travel kettle and two thirds of a garage door opener.

A rolling passcode with a flat?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Russians everywhere.

Your gasket retainer has a look of autumn about it. Why risk biscuits?

The golden chair writhes again.

That golden chair thread always sounded like it was a discussion about senior bathroom chairs
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

It made sense?

I just got back from helping family tarp up homes and clean out debris. There were parts of a town that I spent 25 years of my life in that I can no longer recognize.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

That's true of where I grew up, and it wasn't hit by a hurricane. Eventually, time erases everything.

Was the damage as bad as you first feared, or is there more salvageable than you had expected?

It is worse than I first feared. Pictures aren't doing it justice.

PowerPoster

My sister and her family live in Lafayette. Some flooding around them but got lucky. If the storm was 30 miles east it would have been a different story.

I'm not terribly unhappy about living in an area that doesn't have the interesting weather that the US can get. There's nowhere else in the world that gets the tornado threat that our Midwest gets. There are other places (including this one) that CAN get tornadoes, but not to the level of the Midwest. We also don't get hurricanes, and if we ever got the rain from a hurricane, this state would be a total mess as all the hills slid into the valleys.

I usually take Hwy 90 to I-10 to get to Lake Charles, but the traffic has been so bad that I've been taking Hwy 90 to Hwy 14. So I haven't been through Lafayette recently, but I can tell you that the damage starts to appear around Abbeville and then once you get to Kaplan it starts look look like every single home was effected, and then around Hayes that's when the serious damage starts to show up.

I moved to the Florida Keys in the aftermath of Andrew. The left lane on the interstate was closed to all but emergency vehicles for weeks after the storm. Most street signs were also missing, which made navigation a bit interesting, especially for somebody who had never been there before, but it couldn't have been all that easy for those who had lived there for years. All the houses had been flattened, along with many or most businesses.

Eventually, there were long piles of trash, about 1-2 stories high and hundreds of meters long. These piles were the remains of the houses. They were just scraped together into long piles, which were then transported....I have no idea where. It took months.

We have another hurricane hitting us, this time it is headed to my side of the state. Luckily I'll be just west of where it'll make landfall and the west side is the best side.

Basically it's hitting Plaquemines parish and I'm in Lafourche parish.

All we have is smoke. The sun has been orange for days, and it looks like it will remain that way for at least another week. Makes for slightly poor breathing, though the air quality isn't really horrible, at this point. When the fires get closer, it can get pretty bad. So far, the fires are staying at a distance.

Meanwhile, I'm quarantined. I doubt it will amount to anything. I was on a work trip in the wilderness last week and one of the guys on the trip ended up getting sick. That's rare enough in the wilderness, cause who are you going to catch anything from? He got tested, though, and until we hear the results, the rest of us are staying home.

These are interesting times.

I saw this with the caption "Colorado went full 2020 on us":
    Attachment 178726

Didn't you tell us before that your were mostly working from Home? (or that's what I understood) does it change something for you to be quarantined? (I have been quarantined in March during 2 weeks and I didn't like that) more time to code perhaps

by the way I hope you got nothing.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    We have another hurricane hitting us, this time it is headed to my side of the state. Luckily I'll be just west of where it'll make landfall and the west side is the best side.
    Hold tight and "ne lâche pas la patate"
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

My dad used to sing that to me when I was a kid that put a big grin on my face!

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    Didn't you tell us before that your were mostly working from Home? (or that's what I understood) does it change something for you to be quarantined? (I have been quarantined in March during 2 weeks and I didn't like that) more time to code perhaps

by the way I hope you got nothing.
    Quarantine means that it will suck getting groceries. That's the only real difference.

Actually, I do have a couple bugs to fix that I can't do from home, but they can also wait.

By the way, the attachment didn't work.

Fire and fury.

Too close from Io... or from California

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Quarantine means that it will suck getting groceries. That's the only real difference.

Actually, I do have a couple bugs to fix that I can't do from home, but they can also wait.
    How long are you quarantined ? In France they reduce the time from 14 days to 7 days..

Don't really know, actually. Once the guy gets test results, I expect that he'll test negative for COVID, in which case we aren't quarantined at all. So, I suppose the quarantine lasts until the results come back, which probably will happen today or tomorrow.

The UK has become a chaotic mess regarding social distancing rules. The government is straight-up asking neighbours to rat eachother out to the police if they see something that breaks the vague rules. I'm sure Germany tried that in the '50s, didn't end well.

The buses won't take hard currency any more, you have to use an app on your phone, which means older people (but still less than pension age) that don't have phones are unable to travel. Trains? Forget it.
    And nobody is hiring (at least in the tech industries). I've seen job listings on the recruitment sites that have been up for over two months now. They all want Degree Graduates with a super-specific set of mandatory skills willing to accept a rock-bottom salary with spurious perks.

I'm writing-off 2020 as a complete loss. There's no sign of normality in the UK before the end of the year as far as I can see, probably not 2021 either.

I'm so glad I've been paying my taxes diligently for decades, it's helping me out soooo muuuch right now.
    Last edited by wossy; Sep 15th, 2020 at 09:27 AM.

2020 has certainly been difficult.

In the US we've been having full on riots in major cities where left-leaning vigilantes will throw bottles mixed with bleach and ammonia at cops whereas right-leaning vigilantes will take aggressive defensive tactics with semi-automatic guns. It seems like everyone has dug into their respective right/left corner and any opportunity for nuance has gone by the wayside.

The wildfires from what I can tell have had a tremendous impact on both people's lives and the environment. Louisiana just had its largest hurricane to make landfall and we're dealing with the fallout from that. Mississippi and Alabama seem to be taking the brunt of Hurricane Sally (though the winds here keep trying to open my door) and at Cat 2 is nothing to mess with.

To top it all off we have seen restrictions due to COVID that I had never seen nor did I think I would ever see in my lifetime.

It makes me realize how easily things can be taken for granted.

How does FEMA's response to the numerous physical disasters affecting the USA in 2020 compare with those during Katrina?

I hope they've learned by now.

In 2005, I was living in Lake Charles and we were effected by Hurricane Rita, which is often called the forgotten hurricane because it was a month after Katrina. Rita was actually stronger and more widespread than Katrina.

What happened with Katrina was a failure of local government, not the federal government. The Orleans Levee Board had been corrupted for a very long time and the levees were known at the time that they wouldn't be able to withstand even a moderately sized hurricane. What happened with Katrina was that the storm had actually passed and the city did have some damage but for the most part it was left unscathed. However, when the storm surge started to rescind it overwhelmed the levee system and that's when everything started flooding and it happened so quick that people couldn't leave their homes.

The local government failed to provide transportation to get people out of the city both before and after the hurricane. There is famously images of lines of buses waiting in Baton Rouge but they never left because there was never any coordination on where they were to go. There was also an issue with the issuance of a mandatory evacuation (which is done locally), this allows for the additional living expenses to kick in from people's homeowners insurance, but at the time the parish president was also an employee of State Farm. While there wasn't ever any confirmation, many held the belief that the conflict of interest was the cause of holding out for so long. When FEMA finally did come in, they were the only ones actually giving out money. People here were mainly pissed at FEMA because you're required to put HUD down as a lienholder.

Hurricane Katrina was turned into a political hurricane the moment pictures showing Bush flying over New Orleans and from there on in it just got worse. But I guess it makes for good TV.

I'm sorry, I'm very bitter about Katrina. Anyone living in Louisiana outside of the GNO area is.

Quote Originally Posted by wossy View Post
    They all want Degree Graduates with a super-specific set of mandatory skills willing to accept a rock-bottom salary with spurious perks.

It has always been like that (you forgot "just going out from school" in the list)

in France, the only advantages of the covid were
    • the yellow jackets (not the georgia tech one's) didn't bother us for a time (but they are starting again, these guys just don't know what to do in life)
    • less people on the road for some months. always good
    • be able to breath a better air (well if you don't have the covid...)

and for the french government, while you speak of the covid , you don't speak of the others problems (economy, unemployment, racial problem, police, jobs, etc.) which is always good.

in 2020, you can add the fire in Australia too.

in conclusion :

Name:  118116251_3557317047633621_6398294487868564638_n.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  65.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post

To top it all off we have seen restrictions due to COVID that I had never seen nor did I think I would ever see in my lifetime.

It makes me realize how easily things can be taken for granted.
    Yes, how easy our freedom can be removed without any problem or even questioning.

And we might even be hit by an asteroid. Considering that it would hit on election day in America, that would be the only thing that would unify the country. Otherwise, only about half the country would see the day as a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    It has always been like that (you forgot "just going out from school" in the list)
    It was always on that curve, for sure, but it's 3 or 4 times worse around here now than it was 18 months ago (last time I was trying to find alternate work). Back then I was getting way more callbacks than I'm getting now.

Those companies that have laid off staff can't sensibly re-hire unless they change their business model. Those companies that ARE hiring can afford to invent Disney-sized carrots to attract punters and just sit idly around waiting for some god-like adonis to graduate out of Hogwarts with a nobel prize in headless drupal on rails with agile consulting scrum-mastering doctorships falling out of their ears. Bah.

Page 1615 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 61511151515156516051612161316141615161616171618162516651715 ... LastLast