Page 1676 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 676117615761626166616731674167516761677167816791686 ... LastLast
Results 67,001 to 67,040 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

How do they spell Visconsin?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

VVisconsin obviously.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Yeah. I should have thought of that.

What is the correct formula for Waiting Time in the FCFS (First Come First Served) Scheduling algorithm, is it Turn Around Time - Burst Time or Response Time - Arrival Time?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

It is the “I’m about to have a heart attack because LSU can’t execute against Florida State” one.

Boise State managed to get clobbered in their first game. That really takes the pressure off around here. When they have a magical season, everybody talks them up. They are too small to get invited to a four team playoff (though they might in the new format that is coming), so there are lots of sour grapes. Having lost their first game so badly, they can now play the rest of the season without people complaining about how they are ranked. Instead, people can just complain about the normal things, such as the players and coaches.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

What is the correct formula for Waiting Time in the FCFS (First Come First Served) Scheduling algorithm, is it Turn Around Time - Burst Time or Response Time - Arrival Time?
    Hammer time!
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Well, it's not Forumula 1. They don't seem to be waiting.

Perhaps it's a secret formula?

In all seriousness, I've never even thought about that question...and clearly still haven't.

I just had an incredible programming moment - that only other programmers would understand.

The setup...last week, while I was training someone, and they were going back and forth from tab to tab in my web app, and clicking on rows in a grid to run a report. All of a sudden the app bugged out and didn't know what tab it was on. I was not happy - telling someone to logout and log back in again to get around a bug sucks!

The realization...three huge functions that build grids and tabs really should be re-factored and put into the class that eventually evolved in this app to manage the user-interface.

The satisfaction...after carefully moving the code into the UI class, the bug SIMPLY DISAPPEARED!

Wow - I was shocked!

Just doing the right thing in the code fixed a bug that I did not want to search for!

Happy day!

btw - Javascript with lots of little callback functions created on the fly with all kinds of closure variables!
    Last edited by szlamany; Sep 6th, 2022 at 05:08 AM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

That was such a wholesome story.....I shed a tear
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Software is a theory of how best to solve a data problem. The more data you throw at the theory, the more you test it. When it works, the test passes, when it fails, the theory is not as good as it could be.

I spent a couple months wrestling with an arcane data problem. Eventually, I solved it, which was a relief. I then turned to a different problem...and found that the solution I had come up with for the first problem solved the second even better than it had solved the first.

It's very rewarding when a theory ends up being able to explain something it was never intended to deal with.

Ah yes. JavaScript closures and hoisting have caused me more headaches than I care to admit.

let and const solve some of that, but depending on your browser support they might not always be an option

PowerPoster

Gonna be 113 degrees here today. Near by they are predicting 116.

Please light a candle for my AC and the power grid. lol

I had seen where California is expecting blackouts. The news article I read doesn't really make sense to me though, it explained that because a good percentage of the electrical production is from solar that at the end of the day, throughput starts to decrease while simultaneously the day gets hotter.

Wouldn't it be hottest at like 12 - 2 and not 5 - 7?

PowerPoster

California imports 30% of its electricity from neighboring states. They burn off a lot of juice.

Ultimately that dissipates as heat, there isn't any way around it. Then consider the impact of rooftops, paved area, and solar panels converting a ton of visible light into infrared reflected back into the lower atmosphere. AC pumps more heat outside in a process that adds more heat itself.

All of that builds a runaway thermal bubble during the day, probably part of why things are so hot in the hours before dusk.

Continuous terraforming dancing on the razor edge of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Gonna be 113 degrees here today. Near by they are predicting 116.

Please light a candle for my AC and the power grid. lol
    Yeah, cause if there's one thing you need it is more heat.

(and if there's another, it's more fire)

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    California imports 30% of its electricity from neighboring states. They burn off a lot of juice.

Ultimately that dissipates as heat, there isn't any way around it. Then consider the impact of rooftops, paved area, and solar panels converting a ton of visible light into infrared reflected back into the lower atmosphere. AC pumps more heat outside in a process that adds more heat itself.

All of that builds a runaway thermal bubble during the day, probably part of why things are so hot in the hours before dusk.

Continuous terraforming dancing on the razor edge of failure.
    There's also the interesting geography to consider. The Sierra Nevada creates a wall of craft be....I mean mountains, yeah mountains. This has some interesting local impacts on weather.

PowerPoster

Wouldn't it be hottest at like 12 - 2 and not 5 - 7?
    I'd say @ 5pm is the hottest. I've notice places along the Gulf like New Orleans, Houston don't get much of a temp swing. 5 or 6 degrees. Here in Central Ca. we have 30 - 40 degree swings. Today the high is @ 113 and the morning low was @ 72.

So it takes a while to built the temps. Then where I live there is lots of concrete and pavement, very little green space, so it's like a big heat sink.

I don't know where all the solar power is coming from. There is one big solar farm out in the desert near AZ, They advertise that 90% of the daytime energy comes from renewable sources. I know of several wind turbine farms, my area has lots of hydroelectric.

I just did a search, southern CA does have several solar farms. I haven't been down there in 20yrs. lol
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Sep 6th, 2022 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, cause if there's one thing you need it is more heat.

(and if there's another, it's more fire)
    I thought the only thing you need is more cowbell.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

I was hiking in northern CA in July, and often heard the bells of St. Bovinus of the Hills.

I was in Stanley Idaho back earlier in August. We got up to frost on the roof of the cabin, but the temps were getting into the upper 80s in the afternoon. That was a temperature swing of nearly 60 degrees from the coldest to the warmest in a day. That's pretty typical for the summer in that crazy town.

I don’t understand how people’s sinuses could take it. Later in the year (and super early in the year) we get weird weather where one week the high will be in the 50s, a few days later the high is in the 80s, and then a few days later we’re back to the 50s. It never fails, I almost always get a upper respiratory infection.

You have humidity, we do not. You're more likely to get a nosebleed out here.

No thread about the Queen? Guess I'll mention it here.

PowerPoster

It will be a little strange for a while having a King of England. She has been the Queen for as long as I can remember.

The adrenochrome wore off.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

God bless her Maj.

The UK's collective Grandma.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    No thread about the Queen? Guess I'll mention it here.
    Was she interesting enough to warrant a thread? I'm sure she's had an interesting life but from my point of view she was always just kind of.....there. No fuss no muss just kind of there. You know?
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Yeah, that was a big part of her appeal. She didn't seem to take any big stands on anything.

She took a pretty hard stance of protecting the royal image at any cost.

If only more people were like her the world would be a better place. Now everybody thinks they are God's gift to mankind.

The royal family literally believes that they are a gift to God via the coronation when the monarch is anointed with holy oil. Not to mention the (myth, folklore, etc.) that the family blood line traces back to King David of Israel.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    The royal family literally believes that they are a gift to God via the coronation when the monarch is anointed with holy oil. Not to mention the (myth, folklore, etc.) that the family blood line traces back to King David of Israel.
    The average TikToker believes this only difference is they can't shut up about how awesome they are, especially the women.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Interesting fact, Our Betty was queen for over a quarter of the life span of the United States.

Whatever your thoughts on the institution of the monarchy, Lizzie rocked.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    The adrenochrome wore off.
    Lol!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Interesting fact, Our Betty was queen for over a quarter of the life span of the United States.

Whatever your thoughts on the institution of the monarchy, Lizzie rocked.
    Americans might claim they don't believe in the class system or a monarchy and that is probably true. Not that one doesn't exist but it's more subtle.

But we are infatuated with the royal family. They are in our news almost every day. Mainly the kids and grandkids. lol

The Queen must have been doing something right because I don't remember our press portraying her negatively. Can you imagine maintaining your position through all the changes in the world from 1953 to 2022. That's impressive.

Now it's time to bring out the royal carriage and have a grandiose coronation. You crazy Brits. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    The Queen must have been doing something right because I don't remember our press portraying her negatively. Can you imagine maintaining your position through all the changes in the world from 1953 to 2022. That's impressive.
    It's not really that impressive when you consider that the British monarchy has had like what.....500 years of practice? Most republics and dictatorships of the modern world are youngsters still trying to find their way when compared to the ancient British monarchy.

Page 1676 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 676117615761626166616731674167516761677167816791686 ... LastLast