Page 1686 of 1696 FirstFirst ... 68611861586163616761683168416851686168716881689 ... LastLast
Results 67,401 to 67,440 of 67815

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Still, it makes you wonder how bad the other guy was.
    following the result, the other guy is decomposing
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    ďThey did not know it was impossible so they did itĒ (Mark Twain)

I mentioned this story to my sister. She was wondering what the press corpse had to say about it?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

That candidate was coffin so much that I'm surprised anybody could understand him.

As a guy who doesn't vote D or R, I couldn't ask for better results of this election cycle. It looks like numbers wise, everything is going to basically be the same as it has been the last 2 years.

Over the past couple of months we went through a mini, cold, civil war. Now that it is over we're basically right back where we started and we are just as divided.

Now we can go back to the WWE theater where R's and D's fight each other on TV, but then behind close doors they agree to spend an obnoxious amount of money as well as support the military industrial complex.

USA! USA! USA!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, itís bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

We're going to see an undercard for the next year or two: Trump vs Desantis.

I was sucking down some sushi, where Fox News was playing without sound. They were doing some story on whether or not Desantis is the Trump replacement. Everybody knows who watches Fox News and has no tolerance for being second banana.

The program put up at least one attack from Trump, but without the sound, I couldn't tell whether it was some old story or a new salvo. Either way, Trump will counterpunch, because he has never done otherwise.

I also forgot to mention that I was told by a political candidate that I was wasting my vote.

She was running for a judicial court position along side another woman who was running. Neither was Libertarian so I called and asked about three things:
    1. What is your stance on drug laws? (she was strongly in favor)
    2. What is your stance on jury nullification? (she was strongly opposed)
    3. What is your stance on the death penalty? (she was in favor but could see differences in opinion)

Towards the end of our call I explained that I'm probably just going to skip her election down ballot because she basically gave me the same answers as the other candidate and I didn't agree with her position. She started going off on how it's such a waste that I'd skip voting, that it's my civic and morale duty, and what not. I told her that if she held positions that I agreed with that I'd vote for her, but that I could not support her based on her answers. She then started ranting that I was wasting my vote on the Senate race (completely unrelated) because I told her up front that I intended on supporting the Libertarian candidate. She was trying to say that our country is at risk and our Republican candidate is the best hope. I don't know, I wound up hanging up because I knew that my senate candidate would lose and it wasn't of her business anyways.

She did win her election pretty handedly. I just hope I never have to be in her court

I guess I was confused because I thought that the last election cycle was the "most important of our lifetimes". And the one before that. And the one before that one. And so on...

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    I guess I was confused because I thought that the last election cycle was the "most important of our lifetimes". And the one before that. And the one before that one. And so on...
    Technically, each one of those statements COULD be true at the time they were made. All it would require would be an ever-rising level of importance, at which point, each new election would be more important than all previous ones, and therefore the most important one of your lifetime...so far.

Of course, to be perfectly correct, that would mean that you would have to die before the next one, and I don't think you should adhere to that policy.

Towards the end of our call I explained that I'm probably just going to skip her election down ballot because she basically gave me the same answers as the other candidate and I didn't agree with her position.
    That reminds me of a local election in our city. It was one of those off-off-year elections (like next year will be) that has such dismal turnout they might as well not even be held. I felt that I would do my civic duty, get informed about the candidates, and go vote.

After reading up on the candidates, I came to the conclusion that if you removed the names and faces, and put the statements and information before the candidates, they wouldn't be able to tell which one was them. It wasn't due to a lack of information, either. Each one had been presented with a series of questions, and had earnestly, and fairly extensively, answered each one...and yet they were so boringly similar as to be indistinguishable.

I think I did vote in the election, but I neither knew nor cared who won.

PowerPoster

They campaign out of a stock playbook, almost as if it contains stickers they peel out and apply onto a card to make campaign literature.

Then when it comes down to doing the job once in office they just do whatever the team they are beholden to dictates down to them. They are just tentacle cups of a 2-headed octopus.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    They campaign out of a stock playbook, almost as if it contains stickers they peel out and apply onto a card to make campaign literature.

Then when it comes down to doing the job once in office they just do whatever the team they are beholden to dictates down to them. They are just tentacle cups of a 2-headed octopus.
    I really like that description. lol

It's seem to come down to buzz words. Crime, Immigrants, Woke..... Just mix and match depending on the crowd. I rarely listen to politicians for more than a few seconds, it just feels like such a waste of time. Not that I have other more important things to do but I don't feel their words really mean much. The last politician that I enjoyed listening to was Obama. Maybe it was because he was saying things I liked hearing. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

One headed octopus, in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I really like that description. lol

It's seem to come down to buzz words. Crime, Immigrants, Woke..... Just mix and match depending on the crowd. I rarely listen to politicians for more than a few seconds, it just feels like such a waste of time. Not that I have other more important things to do but I don't feel their words really mean much. The last politician that I enjoyed listening to was Obama. Maybe it was because he was saying things I liked hearing. lol
    None of that applied for this election. It was for a small city in one of the reddest counties of one of the reddest states. They weren't using those buzzwords. They had only local civic responsibilities to occupy their time. It was all about whether you could re-vitalize the downtown (which is seriously small, like one or two blocks, so it's mostly about landscaping), convincing companies to move there...when you have nothing in particular to offer. They had no local taxing authority, so tax breaks, educated work forces, and other attractions for companies weren't really on the table.

They still used buzzwords, but local politics buzzwords.

PowerPoster

None of that applied for this election. It was for a small city in one of the reddest counties of one of the reddest states. They weren't using those buzzwords. They had only local civic responsibilities to occupy their time. It was all about whether you could re-vitalize the downtown (which is seriously small, like one or two blocks, so it's mostly about landscaping), convincing companies to move there...when you have nothing in particular to offer. They had no local taxing authority, so tax breaks, educated work forces, and other attractions for companies weren't really on the table.

They still used buzzwords, but local politics buzzwords.
    Is there a difference??

Local or national they use buzzwords. Or are you trying to say something different?

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

The last politician that I enjoyed listening to was Obama. Maybe it was because he was saying things I liked hearing.
    I don't believe for a second you were born on VBForums and demand to see your birth certificate.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

A certificate isn't enough. You should be born in a livestream on the site.

No....that probably wouldn't be good...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I don't believe for a second you were born on VBForums and demand to see your birth certificate.
    I pretty sure this is a joke but I don't get it. Sorry.

I'm struggling a little bit this week.

We are finally getting the rest of the work done from Hurricane Ida and it seems like Murphy's law is at play.

I'm stressed, my wife is stressed, we aren't living in our house right now. It's just a mess.

PowerPoster

I'm stressed, my wife is stressed, we aren't living in our house right now. It's just a mess.
    Sorry to hear that. It sucks when you get hit with bad news after bad news. One thing I know for sure, it will pass. If you don't pass first. lol

There's an old French saying, "Lache Pas La Patate" which is sort of to that effect. Something like "hang in there" or "stay strong".

That has been my motto since the storm.

What's the status? I feel that so long as you have a sound roof, the rest can be strung out over time, but that might not be the case down there. Up here, the air is so bone dry (are bones REALLY dry?) that everything ends up desiccated. We don't worry about mold. The sun will bleach out wood and other things, but mold isn't normally an issue, so a structure with a sound roof can survive for...well, for centuries, based on ghost towns in the west.

Once the roof goes, though, the end comes swiftly.

PowerPoster

My sister lives in La., she claims mold is the state flower.

Yeah, it pretty much is lol.

We got our roof done like a week after the storm. We just got the exterior done maybe 2 months ago which includes the back patio which blew out from the storm. This is all the interior which is the last of it all.

Mostly it was just finding a contractor. We had so many give us estimates then never call us back.

Last I heard, you couldn't even get an estimate up here. The housing boom may be slowing down. It certainly looks like it is, but for a time, anybody who could swing a hammer was booked up solid for months.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I pretty sure this is a joke but I don't get it. Sorry.
    I was taking the mickey out of Obama Birtherism. The fact that I had to explain strongly indicates that it wasn't a good joke.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I was taking the mickey out of Obama Birtherism. The fact that I had to explain strongly indicates that it wasn't a good joke.
    Well, SH seemed to enjoy it. So it was a good joke, you just told it to the wrong person. lol

The unfortunate thing was that it wasn't a joke to a certain subset of the population.

I'm currently riding in a car back across a part of the US, while writing this. What an interesting world we live in.

PowerPoster

Didn't seem worthy of starting a thread but I thought it was interesting food for thought.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...200758565.html

About parents that want to collect sperm from their dying son.

Aggressive grandparenting.

PowerPoster

Aggressive grandparenting.
    That's a good description. lol

I would understand that from the girlfriend but not from the parents. They just want a new child to replace to dead one. that's disgusting. And the child would be raised in a very strange environment.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    ďThey did not know it was impossible so they did itĒ (Mark Twain)

I don't understand it from either one.

PowerPoster

I can understand the parent and I understand the judges decision. I find the girlfriends willingness surprising.

I thought the situation was a good example of how advancing technology is going to bring up new questions/decisions. Though this technology isn't all that new, this type of decision wasn't a problem a 100 yrs ago.

It's not going to get any easier, either.

There is no particular reason why aging either has to happen, or has to happen at the pace that it currently does. If some treatment for that is found...we're gonna have some strife over it.

Hopefully, it will require the drinking of blood from living humans, so that the situation will be pretty clear.

I have a bit of a mystery. Two parts of a pen showed up in my dryer. The key part, the ink cartridge, has yet to turn up. That could be bad. The dryer managed to disassemble the pen into two parts, though I suppose it might also have been the washing machine. Either way, it's quite odd.

It depends which sauce you use.

Page 1686 of 1696 FirstFirst ... 68611861586163616761683168416851686168716881689 ... LastLast