Page 1717 of 1719 FirstFirst ... 7171217161716671707171417151716171717181719 LastLast
Results 68,641 to 68,680 of 68747

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

Sequence my baboons.

Baboons are hard to sequence. It's the butts. Nobody wants to follow them, so the sequence is never simple.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Geeze, don't put that into my head. Talk about the wrong thing to say at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Baboons are hard to sequence. It's the butts. Nobody wants to follow them, so the sequence is never simple.

Sorry to butt in, but it was not behind the times.

PowerPoster

It feels like the rapids have settled into Class II with lots of open channels and easier navigation lately. Keeping my eyes open for submerged rocks, but in general it's been smooth rafting for a while now.

I was wondering. You've been silent after the turmoil of the last few weeks. That meant either calm waters or you sank.

Every year on my birthday I get an email from vbforums that reminds me of it's existence.

When I joined this site I barely had turned 14. My posts here were incredibly annoying. I was basically the kid who "asked for help" aka wanted you to code the entire thing for me. I was unrealistic ideas of what I was making.

So how did my coding career go? It didn't. I ended up doing VFX for tv/movies and then motion graphics at various tech companies.

But last year I finally started to actually learn to code. I guess better late than never?

It's truly odd to have such an old part of myself archived on the internet, as well as being able to look back at a time when the internet was just vastly different. I guess kids now have so much more of their lives documented.

Dodged a bullet there I guess!

PowerPoster

I was wondering. You've been silent after the turmoil of the last few weeks. That meant either calm waters or you sank.
    Oh, there are still rocks to avoid as well as caution about standing up too fast and we haven't completely dumped our packs yet. But we are well past where we were when we capsized and started down two separate forks. I continue to be surprised by how well we paddle together and never become bored or weary of the long journey. Sooner or later we'll have to get serious about pulling in to encamp. That's a test of the partnership that ideally would have been dealt with before starting out on the water like this, but it's an unconventional expedition from the beginning. One neither of us had planned to embark upon, though we find ourselves singing the same tune as we power along. It's been a real journey of discovery.

That is making full use of the analogy, to be sure.

PowerPoster

I spoke too soon anyway. Just a short time later I find myself in white water again. Patience may be a virtue but didn't Lewis get shot in the butt "accidentally" before it was all over?

I think the one-legged hop through a minefield analogy might fit better.

Which Lewis?

Water is never calm forever.

PowerPoster

Which Lewis?

Water is never calm forever.
    Of "Lewis and Clark" fame?

Never calm forever? Maybe "Never calm, forever."

Quote Originally Posted by duc View Post
    Every year on my birthday I get an email from vbforums that reminds me of it's existence.

When I joined this site I barely had turned 14. My posts here were incredibly annoying. I was basically the kid who "asked for help" aka wanted you to code the entire thing for me. I was unrealistic ideas of what I was making.

So how did my coding career go? It didn't. I ended up doing VFX for tv/movies and then motion graphics at various tech companies.

But last year I finally started to actually learn to code. I guess better late than never?

It's truly odd to have such an old part of myself archived on the internet, as well as being able to look back at a time when the internet was just vastly different. I guess kids now have so much more of their lives documented.

Dodged a bullet there I guess!
    Welcome back, duc.

So what have you coded so far after getting back into it?

You're still young.

PowerPoster

I need that manual. Apparently I can't distinguish between a tantrum and "just pouting." In any case I find myself in slack water today.

Some people pay big bucks for a rafting trip as wild as that.

Now that I think about it, some people also pay big bucks BECAUSE of a rafting trip as wild as that, too.

In reality and metaphor.

PowerPoster

I gets weird trying to guess how the winds blow. She was upset, later claimed she was just pouting and how dare I not call first thing Valentine's Day morning. Later she admitted she actually was mad. But then before noon I got a card texted to me saying "I think you are suffering from a lack of Vitamin Me."

As far as I can things are fine right now. Tomorrow night I'm going to a local folk music venue for an evening performance and the pouting/denial stuff has been going on for days already. But that all stems from the distance issue.

You seem unsettled. That post wasn't as clear as you usually are. Are you going to that music venue alone, or is this a move to soothe any ruffled feathers?

Do feathers get soothed, or smoothed? Are feathers smooth? You can rub a cat the wrong way, but if you rub a bird the wrong way, you're in for a peck of trouble.

PowerPoster

Yeah I'll be going alone. Just part of post-lockdown era getting back to normal, it's not some big event. The sort of thing I've been encouraged to do... until it gets real. LOL

I guess the imagination can run wild. I already explained there is no "mixer" there, no drinks, no food, it isn't like some band in a bar or something. Nobody is going to suddenly meet somebody local and then disappear forever. Feelings just aren't rational though.

PowerPoster

Does this ride end in a nice smooth pond or is this one of those rivers that is a continuous loop?? lol
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Feb 15th, 2024 at 02:42 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Does this ride end in a nice smooth pond or is this one of those rivers that is a continuous loop?? lol
    For all I can tell right now I'm about to go over a waterfall alone. LOL

PowerPoster

Yeah, I read Farmer back in the day. Certain to have some of his books packed away here yet.

Looks like the waterfall has been avoided. Got invited for dinner, but 800 miles is a walk even for spaghetti and meatballs.

I'm having trouble believing she didn't know how to delete voicemails though. Weak explanation for a "full mailbox." I just figured I got blocked again due to some hissy fit. However she did leave the secure messenger open. Oversight?

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Yeah, I read Farmer back in the day. Certain to have some of his books packed away here yet.

Looks like the waterfall has been avoided. Got invited for dinner, but 800 miles is a walk even for spaghetti and meatballs.

I'm having trouble believing she didn't know how to delete voicemails though. Weak explanation for a "full mailbox." I just figured I got blocked again due to some hissy fit. However she did leave the secure messenger open. Oversight?
    Forget about the voicmails... Do you know what you're gonna wear for this dinner invite?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Forget about the voicmails... Do you know what you're gonna wear for this dinner invite?
    Probably some solid hiking boots?

Always a good choice.

PowerPoster

Interesting day in the news.

Navalny dies suddenly. To no ones surprise.

Trump is fined $355million. I wonder if any of that amount will ever come out of his pocket.

A story about a guy that lived rent free for the last five years. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uil-rcna139182

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!! lol

Trump is fined $355million. I wonder if any of that amount will ever come out of his pocket.
    He's gonna make sure a good portion of that come out of his supporters pockets, and the rest he'll push-off paying until after the elections in hope a self-pardon saves his money.

A story about a guy that lived rent free for the last five years. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...uil-rcna139182
    Crazy that after saving a crap-load of money over the years, he fraudulently now claims ownership of the building, tried to charge rent, and demanded a bank to transfer the hotel's accounts to him. He's gonna be the second person Trump pardons when he becomes president.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Feb 17th, 2024 at 07:09 AM.

He can't self pardon for a state charge. A president only has the power to pardon federal crimes.

Crazy that after saving a crap-load of money over the years, he fraudulently now claims ownership of the building, tried to charge rent, and demanded a bank to transfer the hotel's accounts to him. He's gonna be the second person Trump pardons when he becomes president.
    I'm not sure that it is MORE crazy. The guy seems to have made a lifestyle of finding loopholes to slip through. This is just one more.

PowerPoster

The whole thing doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't the owners just give him a 6months lease and then get rid of him Must be more to the story.

I have heard some horror stories of how hard it is to evict someone in NY. It can take several months here in CA.

PowerPoster

Progress I guess. Cycle time is way down: new breakup late last night lasted maybe 10 minutes. Morning call was close to normal and by 2 PM texting was more "domestic" than ever. Late afternoon call, more of the same and a lot of laughter. Meals, what we'd been up to, plans for the evening, weather, our kids, home repairs, health and medical, etc. Bedtime call (minds out of the gutter) went fine. Light bulbs, our kids, and the Netflix series she's watching.

Only 3 hours of telephone time, but we had "broken up" not 24 hours earlier.

Broken up? I thought you was in the process of hooking-up. What happened?

PowerPoster

Broken up? I thought you was in the process of hooking-up. What happened?
    A shock to me as well, but I've found that somehow it doesn't take much. I'd casually "liked" a random social media post. It seems I'm watched very closely, this was seen, and it was taken as "evidence" of some kind of disloyalty. As I've now been told the poster is the same woman I supposedly was disloyally communicating with weeks ago when the last big breakup followed.

I have now found out this pattern of overreaction is far more common than we'd think. "Liking" a post is now treated as if a guy was caught chatting up some pretty girl face to face. Who knew?

So I got to hear quite the litany of very personal insults, how guys are lined up around the corner for a chance and she's been blowing them off, yadda yadda.

I'm most shocked at this behavior in someone in her 60s. 20s, sure, but geeze 60s? I suspect a coven of her girlfriends are feeding her insecurities.

Just got back from our second honeymoon, we went back to St. Augustine.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

We had a great time and it was the absolute perfect weather, every day was like in the low 60's so we could walk for miles and never break a sweat.

Unfortunately, our flight back never happened.

Page 1717 of 1719 FirstFirst ... 7171217161716671707171417151716171717181719 LastLast