Page 1629 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6291129152915791619162616271628162916301631163216391679 ... LastLast
Results 65,121 to 65,160 of 68910

Thread: Post Race!

Re: Post Race!

He wasn't talking average, that's just mean.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You standard deviant.

Every time I see one of Shaggy Hiker's trademark puns I do a little chef's kiss.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You standard deviant.
    Nope but sometime I stand on Deviant Art
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I've only seen that on a computer screen. I've never been inclined to stand on one, though. In fact, since my computer monitors are generally upright, I'd have to be REALLY inclined if I was going to even appear to stand on one. Thus I decline to recline to the supine incline required to stand on Deviant Art.

The site is just a platform for any kind of Deviant Art (https://translate.google.com/transla...5C3%25A9viant) so don't worry you can stand on some without risking any backache.
    By the way, I must acknowledge that you have a pun's Grand Master Level.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by Spetnik View Post
    This thread is still going? Wow...
    Wow, someone who registered earlier than Shaggy
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

There are lots of people who registered before me, just not a whole lot who still visit....was it something I said?.

However, there was a serious server crash back around early 2000, so people who registered in the 90s tend to all have the same, and inaccurate, registration date.

I didn't realize how old VBForums was. I just assumed that it started in the early 2000s.

When I first got here, people were all talking about the great crash. At least one member was up to 10K posts, even then, and they were wiped out. By some means, their post count was restored...though they didn't post all that much after that, and I don't think they ever topped 11K.

Joecim registered before Shaggy and he was quite active when I first came here.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

Look to the first few pages of the Post Race. All those people were active when I joined up. Are ANY of them still around?

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Wow, someone who registered earlier than Shaggy
    Oh yes. I spent way too many hours of my early twenties on this site, the vast majority of them in "Chit Chat"...

When I first got here, people were all talking about the great crash. At least one member was up to 10K posts, even then, and they were wiped out. By some means, their post count was restored...though they didn't post all that much after that, and I don't think they ever topped 11K.
    Oh I remember the "great crash". The details are fuzzy but I think its resolution involved the hosting provider FedExing the servers to the site owners (or maybe that was a different site, I don't remember). My account got zombied and for a while I had a new account with a username with just nbsp characters in it (I think). I think the admins eventually merged the two accounts or something - I don't remember. Then there was the time that I wrote a VB6 program to crawl through the site and delete all of my posts (except the ones that were zombied by the great crash). I probably still have that code somewhere (but it wouldn't work on this version of the forum software).

Also, I believe my actual join date was in 1998 or 1999. 2002 was probably when my account was restored after the "great crash".
    Here's an example of a zombied post of mine from 2001: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....hlight=spetnik

Here's a thread that was obviously damaged by the "great crash" (the first post is me, but I obviously didn't start the thread): https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....hlight=spetnik
    You can also see how rude young me used to be... 😳

Why obvious? Just because it would be a totally weird way to start a thread? Things WERE weird back then.

I thought that, at the time, if the first post of a thread got deleted then the whole thread was deleted.

Why obvious? Just because it would be a totally weird way to start a thread? Things WERE weird back then.
    Exceptionally so. But most of the weirdness tended to stay in Chit Chat.

I thought that, at the time, if the first post of a thread got deleted then the whole thread was deleted.
    Yes, but the "great crash" was an exception. Massive holes were punched in the database, leaving all sorts of messes behind.

I only showed up as the chaos of the crash was settling back down.

I joined in 2002 after the Great Crash had happened. At that time the original owners/creators "sold" the forum to internet.com (jupitermedia). (I actually lurked a little before that). I was the internet.com person that got the "honor" (aka drew the short straw ) of stepping into the forum and assimilating it to the new company. A lot of people were still reeling from the crash, but overall things were back to operating. It was, however, very much the wild west of discussion groups and the weirdness was across the forum. Lots of religion and politics in the mix of technical discussions. My first few months on the forum were brutal because I was the one leading the charge to bring the hammer down on a few people. Fortunately,with the help of the great moderator team we pushed most of the weirdness to chit chat.

Ironically, I see things like Facebook discussions and it reminds me of where this forum was in 2002.
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Going less serious - This is a cool kickstarter. It hit its goal within a few minutes and a million dollars on the first day. A bit pricey, but very cool. I saw their prototype at a GenCon a while back. #Gamer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ectronic-dice/
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

I just deactivated my Facebook account. Not because of the discussions that I was having, but because of the Facebook's response to some discussions. I started to second guessed everything I said/posted so eventually I just left.

@brad - You seemed to have done a great job with VBForums, you need to go to Silicon Valley and fix FB/Twitter/etc. too!

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    @brad - You seemed to have done a great job with VBForums, you need to go to Silicon Valley and fix FB/Twitter/etc. too!
    That's funny.

I help with a couple of groups on FB and that's all I can handle and even those have me ready to walk away..... There aren't enough moderators in the world to help fix the problems with Facebook because people have changed in the last 20 years. More people believe they are experts on topics they know nothing about because they read an article on Babylon Bee that educated them.....

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    I help with a couple of groups on FB and that's all I can handle and even those have me ready to walk away..... There aren't enough moderators in the world to help fix the problems with Facebook because people have changed in the last 20 years. More people believe they are experts on topics they know nothing about because they read an article on Babylon Bee that educated them.....
    Oh yeah, I can tell you ALL about that. See I read an article on the internet about the topic, so I know WAY more than you do.

Going less serious - This is a cool kickstarter. It hit its goal within a few minutes and a million dollars on the first day. A bit pricey, but very cool. I saw their prototype at a GenCon a while back. #Gamer

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ectronic-dice/
    Those look really cool, but I find it really hard to believe that they can be completely random, despite what they said. Of course, they did leave a loophole in the discussion by saying that they were 'as fair as possible'. They also added that they will be improving that aspect. Taken together, it certainly sounds like they are not random, yet, and that's to be expected, since they are, by definition, loaded dice. I don't see how they could get equal density and therefore they'd be hard pressed to avoid weighting the roll in some regard. Sure, they talk about counterweights....but that seems like it would only work along a few axis, while a d20 has a LOT of possible axis of rotation.

Those look really cool, but I find it really hard to believe that they can be completely random....
    I thought they had a chart of rolls. They seemed to be as random as some of the other major dice that are on the market. I thought their numbers actually looked better. than some of the others.

What they should do is build a gyro into the die and have the computer determine the number, then keep the die moving until it can be balanced on the right number..... A bit backwards. New idea - maybe I should patent that!

I can see hackers now trying to hack those dice.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I can see hackers now trying to hack those dice.
    For the Pixels, they are open source and open hardware - hackers don't have to try too hard. I plan to try playing with the code at some point

...but you might need more than VB 6.....

#CouldntResist

For the Pixels, they are open source and open hardware - hackers don't have to try too hard. I plan to try playing with the code at some point
    Well, sounds a bit dicey, but if that's how your roll.....

Well, sounds a bit dicey, but if that's how your roll.....
    Speaking of rolling..... check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Yeah, but ads kinds of mess that whole thing up.

Happy St. Pat's Day everyone!
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Trouble is, nobodies allowed to celebrate it and wasn't last year either. The snakes will be moving back into Ireland if this goes on much longer.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Shoot, tell that to Louisiana.

The Irish/Italian parade may be cancelled this year, but I plan on getting hammered in the common grounds.

@Delaney - do they have folklore about les vents de careme (winds of lent) where you live?

Where I live, nobody lends their winds. They all just release them into the wilds for free.

Where I live, nobody lends their winds. They all just release them into the wilds for free.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    @Delaney - do they have folklore about les vents de careme (winds of lent) where you live?
    Not to my knowledge. I never hear about that. by the way we don't do carême anymore.

BUT we do Saint Patrick ! at least when the bars and pubs were open . You know, as long as we can drink alcohol and/or eat a lot of food we do any celebration day
    Last edited by Delaney; Mar 17th, 2021 at 04:04 PM. Reason: missundertood carême with vent de carême

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    We don't even do the carême anymore.
    So, you've stopped the carême, how about the macarena? It's a radically different pronunciation, but in spelling...it's not much different.

I never try the macarena, I am not flexible enough. On the other hand, I love macaroni

Page 1629 of 1723 FirstFirst ... 6291129152915791619162616271628162916301631163216391679 ... LastLast