Thread: a few Vb questions

Frenzied Member

a few Vb questions

Could someone please answer these...

1/ I know PHP how easy is VB to learn

2/ Is it easy to change the size of something.. ie: ON A 800 * 600 screen you may want something to fit half the size or the screen but you also need it the same on a 1200 * 1600...

3/ If I had a picture (being a map) on my VB project and i want to have animated stuff on it (such as a dot were a object is)... is that hard to do??

The picture isn't missing BuggyProgrammer's Avatar

Re: a few Vb questions

Since there aren't any variable types in PHP, you might start being lazy and not declare variables, or declare them as variant, which is bad. PHP is very different than VB.

Size changing is hard, unless you use code that other people have made to do it.

Animated things are not difficult, if you read the tutorials that are online.
    Remember, if someone's post was not helpful, you can always rate their post negatively .

PHP class structure would put you in good stead but you will miss the amazing flexibility of the PHP arrays. Resize is Ok if you code for it. There are hooks and the code is not that difficult once you sort out a few basics. Twips and pixel relationships and so on.

For animation checkout the games area.

The main advantage of VB is that if you can't find a function to do the job you can jump into API level programming and even intercept windows messaging using subclassing, which is pretty low level stuff. The main disavantage IMHO is that it can be torturous to get anything resembling a good look and feel for an app. Little things get in the way that shouldn't (as you can see from these boards).

If you are thinking of taking up VB from scratch I would check around other languages first just to be sure before you make the commitment. As other contenders there are quiet a few languages to consider .NET, Delphi, TK-Python, C, Java - to name but a few.

HTH

David

Learn the Rules so that you know how to break them properly.

Printing dll dBTools MZTools Winsock API WinsockVB More Winsock SGrid2 MSChart Mail2Web

If you have found this thread useful then read this

As much as love VB6 I have to agree with David: look at Delphi (would be my first choice) or C#.

Once you get good at VB and basic graphic routines (API based Windows GDI graphic stuff as well), you can use DirectX or OpenGL in VB to make your games/graphic applications, which is used in the latest games you see on the market for the PC, only they used DirectX and OpenGL in C++.