Thread: Cell containing Function Keeps Changing

Cell containing Function Keeps Changing

I have a column of cells, each cell contains the same function -- the function takes values from three cells and returns a value. The problem is this: after several seconds, the values in the cells all change -- sometimes to another number, sometimes to zero, sometimes they put out the #VALUE thingee... When the cells change, they all seem to be changing similarly... If it matters, the Function in the cells calls upon other functions within that function to aid with the calculation. The changing of values is occuring when the spreadsheets automatically calculates (the workbook relies on live feed financial market data, and therefore cannot be left in "Manual"...

This is my first posting -- Thanks in advance to all for your time and help!

Continued

... When I keep the cursor over one of the cells in the column, the values do not change on recalc, but when I put the cursor somewhere else on the spreadsheet, the values change on recalc. Sorry I neglected to mention this in previous post.

Re: Cell containing Function Keeps Changing

Originally posted by RWatkins
    ...The changing of values is occuring when the spreadsheets automatically calculates (the workbook relies on live feed financial market data, and therefore cannot be left in "Manual"...
    Haven't you answered your own question?

Vince

BOFH Now, BOFH Past, Information on duplicates

Feeling like a fly on the inside of a closed window (Thunk!)
    If I post a lot, it is because I am bored at work! ;D Or stuck...
    * Anything I post can be only my opinion. Advice etc is up to you to persue...

So the problem is that the cell data is not changing when
    you have the mouse cursor over the cell or is it something like
    Vince posted?
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

As i understand his problem he has a file that gets data (
    the workbook relies on live feed financial market data
    ), this data is automatically calculated.
    I guess he wonders why the result takes some time to be displayed (afer the input has been made, the dependent cells do not change instantly),but that is normall, espacially if you have something like:
    the Function in the cells calls upon other functions within that function to aid with the calculation
    And now he wonders why he gets such changing, i guess he should look thru all his functions, to make sure, he'S calculating what he really wanted to. And for the #value thing, 1. Choice the value is to large to be shown, so just enlarge the column-width. 2 choice your data-format is wrong
    You're welcome to rate this post!
    If your problem is solved, please use the Mark thread as resolved button

Wait, I'm too old to hurry!