Code:
          Switch
       |       |
       |       |
      Pc 1   PC2
       |
       | 
    Internet!
    Ok when pc2 trys to view pc1 it sees it etc, but when pc 1 loads the network error is

the network did not assign an IP address and so you will have limited connectivity (or words to that effect)

does anyone know how to fix this?

both pc's running xp home

you have 2 network cards in PC1? why not put the switch in front of both pcs? (unless it won't assign IP addresses)

you have internet connection sharing on PC1?

i have a router, and it logs on to my DSL for me. then one wireless and 4 computers can see each other and connect.

Super Moderator
    no, sorry!

Pc 1 has 1 network card
    pc 2 has 1 network card

and there connected together by a switch, but only pc 1 is connected to the nte (which unfortunatly is AOl!) so untill i get rid of that i dont think i can share the net connection!

one more thing though, pc 1 can see all the shared stuff on pc 2 but pc 2 doesnt seam to see andything on pc 1 but the network is there?

I think you could get internet for both pcs if you had a router.

I have a LinkSys 4 port WAP router running DHCP so all my
    computers get internet. through it, but Im not running AOL.

Its not very expensive either less then $80 bucks now.

Code:
                    Internet
                       |
                     Router
                   |  |  |  |
                  |  |    |  |
                |   |      |   |
              |     |      |     |
          Server   Pc2    Pc3   Pc4
    Last edited by RobDog888; Oct 2nd, 2004 at 01:53 PM.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

One of your PC's must be set up to automatically obtain IP addresses, this will only work if your LAN has a DHCP server, which it doesn't.

Give PC1 the IP address: 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

and

Give PC2 the IP address: 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

To do this right click on your LAN connection and select the properties for TCP/IP. Once you have rebooted bootth computers they should be able to communicate.

As RobDog888 said - buy a router which faces the internet, they are quite cheap and most will act as DHCP servers. I'll be selling my old Netgear router soon, so if you are interested PM me.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

That is what my Linksys does. It is DHCP enabled and all my computers
    use the "Obtain IP from ..." in their network settings for TCP/IP.
    I can lock down access by MAC or IP range too on the router. Its
    the WRT54G. 4 hard wire ports and up to 1024 wireless ports.

VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Fanatic Member
    Interweb => Switch (UPLINK port) => PC1 & PC2

That is how I would do it, assuming your switch has an upload port.

"X-mas is 24.Desember you English morons.." - NoteMe

if it's a dial-up account, then these posts won't help. I assume that AOL is dialup, but I could be wrong. Internet Connection Sharing should be able to do what you want, though.

Can you find each PC from the other by its IP address? The first time you click on it, you may have to log on with a username/password. If you do, you could just map the drive on the machine, and have it retain the connection for all log ons in the future. I do that from my XP laptop to a W2K Workstation, and everything works fine.

The W2K machine has an account for LAPTOP, otherwise, I can't see the shared folders (and printer). Others have suggested otherwise, but it works for me just fine.

Super Moderator
    no its 512 broadband, and no ICS just doesnt work with AOL, its the way aol connects thoough the software and not the modem! its wierd grrrr

There is no reason why you cannot connect using another modem or a modem integrated into a router. You only need to check that it supports the protocols AOL uses i.e. PPPoE or PPPoA.

The AOL software probably uses proprietary drivers which are only designed to allow the modem to work when it uses their software. You can still share the internet by setting up a proxy server on one of the machines. The easiest way to do this for free is to use the Apache web server.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html

Here is a nice tutorial:

http://www.devshed.com/index2.php?op...ge=0&hide_js=1
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

i use my router to log on to my dsl account instead of using their stupid software which has to be started up before going online. I think they have fixed it in the newest version, but now i don't need or want it. They even offer a router to share the connection, for more money.