Thread: Dual Channel Memory

Fanatic Member

Dual Channel Memory

I recently built a new computer. One of the parts I put in it was a gig of PC 3200 Dual Channel Corsair Value Select Memory. (2 512mb strips). The motherboard I got is an Asus A7V880 board which does support dual channel memory. But when I boot up it only recognizes it as single channel. Even if I go in bios and set the Bus to Dual Channel it still says Single Channel during boot up.

My question is, do you have to install all 4 strips of the same size and type memory in order to achieve Dual Channel, or is it possible that the memory they sent me really isn't dual channel. (Is there any serial number on the memory that I could use to look up to see if its truely dual channel?). Or does it seem more likely that the board possibly has a bios error that wont recognize it as dual channel. The memory is listed on the certified tested memory for the board so I dont see why it isn't working right.

The only reason I even say anything about the bios is I know they board has some bios issues.. I flashed to the latest bios off of Asus website to correct another problem (any lan would disconnected randomly after a few seconds onboard lan or non onboard). So if it is a bios issue it's something they havn't released a fix for yet.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Oh and if it matters I installed the two strips in the Primary memory slots (0 and 1) according to the Asus book thats the slots I should fill first.

On one of my systems I have 1.0 Gig Dual channel DDR 2700 RAM
    and it needed to be installed in pairs (2 512 sticks). Could there
    be something in the manual about which slots to install the two
    sticks of memory. I assume it has four slots, so it may be like slot
    0 & 2 as one set and 1 & 3 for the other pair.

HTH
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

That was what I was gonna suggest, I'm pretty sure that you have to have a stick in each bank of slots, check the manual for more information about dual channeling the ram, or do a quick google.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)

OK, after reading the manual for your board on the Asus site, install both sticks of RAM into the blue slots, you should then be able to use dual-channel RAM.
    I use Microsoft Visual Basic 2005. (Therefore, most code samples I provide will be based around the .NET Framework v2.0, unless otherwise specified)